Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Case Confirmed in Mahaska County (Iowa)

Yes, that's what I've read too.

I have ducks, geese, cranes, and seagulls in my area. In addition to the local songbirds, of course. The fencing on the sides of the run, and the solid roof over the top have kept all wild birds out. So far, so good!
Good, then my intelligence is accurate. I’m still scared to death over this. My research showed 30 backyard chickens were affected here in my county. Affected, meaning euthanized. I can’t imagine. I’m just about ready to go feed and water my girls and collect eggs. They are going to be disappointed they can’t free range, but I’ll make it up to them with treats and sitting in the lawn chair inside their run with them.

I never dreamt I’d get so attached to these girls. I so look forward to seeing and hanging out with them everyday. Their silliness always manages to bring a smile to my tired, old face.

Thank you for responding Sally and WoDia, myself and the ladies appreciate it!
Jake

Last edited:
Went to my local feed store today and they said there was no need to keep the girls cooped up anymore, and that the outbreak has been contained and over. What I am not sure is what kills HPAI, cold, warmth or sunshine? I’m planning on keeping them in their covered run for the foreseeable future, just cause I want them safe and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom