Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Case Confirmed in Mahaska County (Iowa)

Jakemedic

Crowing
Sep 27, 2023
SE IOWA
Greetings fellow chicken folks! I woke up to this headline in my local newspaper this morning. I must admit, it scares me, as I have gotten very attached to my girls and their health is very important AND it has occurred in the county we reside in.

The State of Iowa put this message out https://iowaagriculture.gov/news/HPAI-confirmed-mahaska-county yet other than protecting my girls from wild birds, it doesn’t tell me much. So some questions:

1. Should I not allow my girls to free range anymore? I go out every evening and give them a thrill by letting them out while I hang out with them in the yard. They reside in a raised coop and decent sized covered run.
2. How long does this threat last?
3. Anything i can do to treat them before they show any symptoms of bird flu?
4. We feed wild birds currently. Should we quit doing that to minimize the risk to our girls?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Happy Holidays!

Jake

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-found-in-south-carolina.1507893/
This thread has a lot of information.

Briefly:
Keep your birds inside, under a roofed run. Don't encourage wild birds to hang around your area, so, yeah, stop feeding. The threat is mostly a problem from wild birds during the migration periods.

The virus is also easily transmitted on shoes (and vehicle tires) among flocks. Wear one pair of shoes for tending your flock, and don't wear those shoes other places.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-found-in-south-carolina.1507893/
This thread has a lot of information.

Briefly:
Keep your birds inside, under a roofed run. Don't encourage wild birds to hang around your area, so, yeah, stop feeding. The threat is mostly a problem from wild birds during the migration periods.

The virus is also easily transmitted on shoes (and vehicle tires) among flocks. Wear one pair of shoes for tending your flock, and don't wear those shoes other places.
I so appreciate this info! Thank you much!

After my initial post, I did some additional research into avian flu in backyard chickens. It seems like everyone has an opinion. I found this video from the University or Minnesota regarding bio security and backyard flocks.

^ what @Sally PB said. Don’t free range. You can’t keep wild birds out of the run itself, but lockdown will help to minimize the contact.
Actually our run is fully secure. No birds can get in. From what I have gathered, it’s mostly waterfowl that carries the diseas. The geese are flying almost every evening. The girls won’t appreciate being kept indoors, but I can go hang out with them inside the run. Going to the shop to make a barrier for when I open the door to water and feed them. They have gotten so used to having me open the door and out they go. It will be a change for them, but I can still bring their treats!

Actually our run is fully secure. No birds can get in. From what I have gathered, it’s mostly waterfowl that carries the diseas. The geese are flying almost every evening. The girls won’t appreciate being kept indoors, but I can go hang out with them inside the run. Going to the shop to make a barrier for when I open the door to water and feed them. They have gotten so used to having me open the door and out they go. It will be a change for them, but I can still bring their treats!
That’s awesome! You’re doing everything you can, so try not to worry so much and enjoy caring for them. 😊 Just don’t forget to keep a separate pair of boots by the coop, and you’re all set. You’re right about waterfowl being the primary carriers. As long as your fluff balls are secure in the run, they’re at little risk. We’ve had the risk here in Ohio, but my chickens and turkeys no longer free range anyhow due to the high predator threat. So, they were already protected that much. And, already separated from our pond that’s frequented by wood ducks, great blue herons, and Canadian geese. Keep us posted.

That’s awesome! You’re doing everything you can, so try not to worry so much and enjoy caring for them. 😊 Just don’t forget to keep a separate pair of boots by the coop, and you’re all set. You’re right about waterfowl being the primary carriers. As long as your fluff balls are secure in the run, they’re at little risk. We’ve had the risk here in Ohio, but my chickens and turkeys no longer free range anyhow due to the high predator threat. So, they were already protected that much. And, already separated from our pond that’s frequented by wood ducks, great blue herons, and Canadian geese. Keep us posted.
Thank you so much! You are right, I do enjoy them so much. A lot more than I thought I would. I have separate shoes for inside the run, and make sure to wash my hands after handling them and being in the run. I need to find a disinfectant that kills avian flu that is safe for chickens, to disinfect their house. I’ve just been changing the pine shavings and scraping the poop off the shelf under the perches. Maybe that’s all I need to do till spring?

Thank you so much! You are right, I do enjoy them so much. A lot more than I thought I would. I have separate shoes for inside the run, and make sure to wash my hands after handling them and being in the run. I need to find a disinfectant that kills avian flu that is safe for chickens, to disinfect their house. I’ve just been changing the pine shavings and scraping the poop off the shelf under the perches. Maybe that’s all I need to do till spring?
What you’re doing now is good, since you’re already taking precautions. The EPA website does has a list of products that are supposed to kill the virus. You could look through it to find something appropriate. Here’s the link, if you’re interested:
https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regis...ered-disinfection-use-against-avian-influenza

From what I have gathered, it’s mostly waterfowl that carries the diseas. The geese are flying almost every evening
Yes, that's what I've read too.

I have ducks, geese, cranes, and seagulls in my area. In addition to the local songbirds, of course. The fencing on the sides of the run, and the solid roof over the top have kept all wild birds out. So far, so good!

Back
Top Bottom