HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Wow, just wow. That was really uncalled for. I was offering up what I (and many others) would feel is sound advice. Didn't tell you what you must do, only what I would do in your position for your flock's protection, but hey, got acid in my face. What I don't appreciate is someone saying "Have a blessed day" like a slap in the face, used like a verbal weapon. You do whatever you like with your chickens. No skin off my nose. Sheesh. :/  

No you telling me I'm causing attention to myself for being worried and wanting to have birds tested for finding so many dead in a certain time is un called for. Like I said have a blessed day!

TherryChicken, I agree with you 100% that these birds need tested. I think it would be highly irresponsible for someone to find (was it 12?) dead wild birds and NOT have them tested. While we have to be rational, I also think we all have a responsibility to each other to help monitor how this disease is spreading. In this case there is a ton of reason to believe it's bird flu. Yes, bird flu will always be around but this particular outbreak is particularly devastating.

TherryChicken, I agree with you 100% that these birds need tested. I think it would be highly irresponsible for someone to find (was it 12?) dead wild birds and NOT have them tested. While we have to be rational, I also think we all have a responsibility to each other to help monitor how this disease is spreading. In this case there is a ton of reason to believe it's bird flu. Yes, bird flu will always be around but this particular outbreak is particularly devastating.

I agree. I love my birds n if they do have it I will be devastated but I don't want them to suffer. I hatched most of my birds and raised them from babies. Yes we have found 12 birds dead so far which is pretty concerning for us

TherryChicken, you are correct in the statement that many infected birds show no symptoms, that is because most of them just drop dead or drop dead in mid-flight.

What Speckledhen was trying to caution you about are recent cases, within the last 2 weeks, of healthy flocks being destroyed because State Vets and the USDA did not want to test them or worse even though they tested negative, they wanted to be cautious. Feel free to google the following information...as I have been monitoring the situation closely because of a recent ban here in Kentucky because 2 wild waterfowl dropped from the sky on the Mississippi Flyway while migrating and happened to fall in Kentucky. No other cases have appeared in our State and no poultry have been affected to date.

3 cases in Georgia...Hatching eggs were ordered from a farm in Iowa that tested Negative...after shipping the eggs, that farm tested positive. The three folks in Georgia that ordered the eggs got a visit from the State vet and USDA...who took pics and videos and asked for paperwork. Without testing the existing flocks, they came and de-populated (fancy word for "killed") their existing flocks, destroyed the eggs and handed them a pathetic check to cover their costs.

17 cases in Iowa...flocks were destroyed with no testing or with negative results because they were within a certain radius of a farm who did test positive.

5 cases in Indiana .... flocks were destroyed because of suspicion of being exposed due to being within a certain radius of flocks that tested positive

7 cases in Arizona.... hatching eggs sent from a farm testing positive in Iowa, hatched chicks positive for the new strain becoming the first link to transmission through the egg/embryo. The existing flocks were destroyed, the infected chicks and unhatched eggs as well. The other 6 cases again were destroyed because of proximity without any testing results.

So what Speckledhen was trying to say is that the attitude of the State Vets and the USDA is kill first and test later. If you desire to take that chance by placing yourself on their radar with an AI test out of the blue....go for it. Should you elect to test now and draw undue attention to yourself with the usual results that have been occurring; please don't whine and complain should you get a nice phone call or letter telling you that you are in quarantine and officials will be arriving at an appointed time with a gas chamber to de-populate your flock, which the odds are in favor of. Try a private lab first.

As for the snarkiness directed at Speckledhen, she is a kind lady who was just offer suggestions and help and did not warrant the snarkiness. I on the other hand am not that kind and am much more direct. I do not appreciate my friend being slammed with snarky BS for no reason under the psuedo "Have a Blessed Day" crap. So feel free to bring the USDA to your door, piss off and Have Nice Day!

LadyHawk

Edited to add: PS you do realize there are many other illnesses that can cause sudden deaths that are NOT AI. There are many causes as well and it may behoove you to start at the beginning and start eliminating the possibilities with a clear head, logic and common sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom