HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

I'm not making light of the situation, I'm well aware of the severity of it. I was involved in the '83-'84 east coast outbreak.

The only issue I have is some one- jerk reactions in some states to possible contaminations with no positive test results. I believe these depopulations are being done by state agencies, not the USDA.

I apologize if I appeared confrontational.

No apology needed. I learn too when I have to research the info!

As I understand it, all state agencies work under the umbrella of the USDA. The final decision comes from the federal government and the confirmation process for positive cases is a lengthy one. Definitely check out the brochure on the link that describes the testing process because it is a good one! The USDA APHIS website has lots of good info.

Depopulation is not occurring without good reason, which usually means a positive case as a "ground zero". Quarantine and depopulation occurs in a radius around the initial case.

Having mandatory depopulation zones without testing is just asking for trouble. People will lose trust in APHIS and refuse to contact them. I personally would contact them if my birds started dropping dead as I'm the kind of person that has a mentality for the greater good and general respect for the law but I can certainly see that some people will refuse to alert the agency on principle and then the disease will be impossible to contain.

Don't get me wrong, I will fight depopulation of my flock if it's not infected with anything that is within my legal grasp if it happens to me. As for that law, I will definitely be contacting my local representatives and community leaders about it as I certainly believe that in order to protect our collective flock, every poultry owner must be 100% on board and that's not possible when people do not trust the agency. Lack of trust is an epidemic waiting to happen. You have already seen that some posters are saying that they would not draw attention to themselves if it meant the loss of a healthy flock. How are they going to fight a disease without vital information concerning its spread?

Here are some good articles about AI, including the one about the Netherlands response during the HPAI outbreak. Depopulation must occur early to be effective, which is why the USDA is so serious about hitting this before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

http://www.ais.up.ac.za/vet/tlo/ahe/swayne2000.pdf

http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/conte...YQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNGi9b6c2WmcIbD-pbcKMRnSuW3AZg

Again, it can only work if they know where the outbreak is. People are already saying on here that they aren't going to be drawing attention to themselves which may mean they won't report birds that they observe dying in large numbers as one poster has suggested another should consider doing. With respect, the people of the U.S.A. have a different culture than the ones in the Netherlands do. Such a measure can only work if people aren't hiding their birds, hatching eggs, and chicks from the agency. From this thread alone, we know that they already are. The question is, is it cheaper to just test the birds and only cull positive flocks thereby appeasing flock owners or get the manpower to track down every hidden cache of birds/eggs in a country many times bigger than the Netherlands?

Anyone here who thinks the USDA, or any other state/federal agency is looking out for them, needs to look at this from another angle.

Everything that is being done is totally based on the commercial losses of a few big meat/egg suppliers and food prices. USDA school lunch programs cannot deal with a large spike in cost.

Anyone here who thinks the USDA, or any other state/federal agency is looking out for them, needs to look at this from another angle.

Everything that is being done is totally based on the commercial losses of a few big meat/egg suppliers and food prices.  USDA school lunch programs cannot deal with a large spike in cost.

I have never delt with them, but just like vets, I would imagine they are here to help us, not lie to us just to kill.

Back
Top Bottom