Heads up on animal meds from the Vet.

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
My French Bulldog is a long time sufferer of allergies. I know what she has...we've been dealing with this for years. I wanted to get her a perscription strength shampoo to help combat yeast overgrowth...Of course! the vet needed to see her ($50) before they could right me the perscription. Then proceeded to tell me they could get me the shampoo I saw online....I said, "Not at the price I saw online" She said, yes they will price match. I got the shampoo for only $15 instead of $32 in their office.

Recently I noticed my frenchie mix is more sore...He really scared me yesterday when he was so sensitive to the touch...I knew it wasn't just his arthritis so I took him to the vet because I suspected Lymes Disease and it was:( The meds they wanted to sell me were $49.95!!!! I said I would look up a better price online. I found it for 8 BUCKS!!!! .16 cents per pill!!!! They price matched it. No one knows this because they don't tell you but most vets will price match any online drug store including shipping.

.....and knowing is half the battle
wink.png

Oh WOW! Thanks for sharing that!
celebrate.gif
I had no idea!

Glad you found out what was wrong with your Frenchie. We have an English and a Boston. The English has constant skin issues.
barnie.gif

I would have your family tested for Lyme if your dog had it. My son came back from camp one year with Tick Fever, 6 months later the dog started showing symptoms...she was positive for it.

Shelly

I've only seen one tick on my son...and it was a deer tick
hmm.png
It must've been there for a day or two because he was red around the bite. We panicked and took him to the emergency room.
he.gif
but the doc was really nice and said in humans there will be an obvious bullseye form (it's on dogs too....just can't see most of the time because of their hair) Anyways, we kept a good eye and it got better right away.

Lymes is wierd. You can show positive and never develop symptoms and in others it acts like a virus and simply runs its course. Im not too terrified but we always check out son.... I check the doggies too but those deer ticks are soooo small, you'd never be able to see one on a dog.

You're right there. The vet I worked for would price match anything but if people didn't ask and didn't research where to get it at that price then he wouldn't.

Also if your pet is on long term medications ask to get the biggest bottle they have, even if they have to order it for you. When you get a small amount of pills you pay a dispensing fee. Ours was $5 even for 1 pill. There was no dispensing fee when we ordered someone a whole bottle. Often you can get a bottle of a few hundred pills for less than say 50 or 100 pills.

Clients couldn't believe it when I'd whisper to them to ask for a bottle of 500 and it was cheaper than the one month dose they were previously getting.

Quote:
Have you tried looking into the food you feed as a possible source of allergens? A lot of dog foods have grains in them that my German Shepherd does not take well too. I've just recently switched her to a grain free dog food and her skin yeast issues are clearing up. She also doesn't smell as 'doggy' as she used to. The brand I'm using right now is called Orijen.

You can also get doggy probiotics that are supposed to help balance the digestive enzymes/bacteria. I have not tried these myself, but it may be worth looking into.

Cheers,
Urban Coyote

Quote:
Boy that helps A LOT! That's REALLY good to know. I did just have my husband give our new puppy her 5 shot. That saves a lot of money too. I would never (I don't believe) have been able to give the shot myself, but since my husband knows a little bit about that, it saved us some $$$
smile.png

Quote:
Have you tried looking into the food you feed as a possible source of allergens? A lot of dog foods have grains in them that my German Shepherd does not take well too. I've just recently switched her to a grain free dog food and her skin yeast issues are clearing up. She also doesn't smell as 'doggy' as she used to. The brand I'm using right now is called Orijen.

You can also get doggy probiotics that are supposed to help balance the digestive enzymes/bacteria. I have not tried these myself, but it may be worth looking into.

Cheers,
Urban Coyote

Oh yeah, we've done EVERYTHING!!! She's on probiotics (the good stuff too) she gets yoguart, fish oils. She needs frequent baths from candida yeast over growth which I believe was caused by vaccinating too early. She was the size of a hamster when we got her and they gave her the same dose they would a full grown rotti! Then she started losing hair (I believe from the toxicity) They thought she had mange, so we started dipping which further increased the hair loss and irritation. There were more scrapings done and still no mange but my dum dum old vet persisted with ivermectin and antibiotics which corrupted her immune system.

She is now doing a whole lot better. She's on Natural Balance potato and duck and get raw meats, fish, and lot of veggies (gets a bit of whatever we're eating -except chicken...she's allergic) Her big problem is her bacterial balance is off and it's taken years to get her back to just being comfortable. Im sorry for rambling...just wanted to nip in the bud that I have done tons of research and am on it!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom