Health of Bought ducklings vs home grown

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I was wondering if anybody else has noticed this.
I have incubated and hatched maybe 20 Muscovy ducklings this year.

ALL of the eggs then resulting ducklings that have come from my hens are doing wonderfully, very large and healthy.

The ducklings from the eggs I bought(they were not shipped, I picked them up). Haven't done as well. Some died after internally pipping. Some hatch seem, okay and then die with in the next week or so.

I have lost 5 hatched seemingly okay ducklings this year all from eggs I bought.

I have lost 0 from my own hens.

(all eggs were hatched in the same incubator at the same time, same conditions)

This seems like too big of a trend to be just by chance, so my question is, does care of the adult make that much difference in the health of the young ducklings?

Quote:
2 different places. Small hobby breeders in my area in Ontario, here

Divon 80, I have good luck with babies I bought as well, I was referring to starting with hatching eggs.

I'm not sure. I know that the air cells in the eggs I bought were the same size as my verifiable fresh eggs from my own hens. So I would assume that they were fairly fresh eggs. I again come back to wondering if it is in the care of the parents. Although the places I got eggs from, appeared to have healthy birds, I didn't ask what they were fed or anything else about their care.

The difference has just amazed me.

Back
Top Bottom