Healthiest chicken breeds

Pics
I think source is the most important factor in getting a healthy breed with the exception of high production and meat birds like Cornish Cross. I have had birds for over ten years and without fail the ones I have purchased from backyard breeders are the ones that wind up having the most issues. I raise my own chicks now. From there I decide who to keep based on temperament and haven't had health issues with any of my hatched birds which currently are Delawares, Lavendar Orpington, Naked Necks, Marans and Olive Eggers. I have sent numerous birds (entire flocks actually) to retire at my mom's house and she just recently lost the last Buckeye from one of my first flocks. She still has several healthy Welsummers and Marans I gave her as pullets. I think if you steer clear of meat birds, high production birds and questionable breeders you will do well with almost any breed. I have heard bad things about the latest Cream Legbars flooding the market but don't own any personally to speak on that.
I just love my very very smart and even tempered Delaware.

Like most poultry enthusiast Ive had many of the most popular breeds. None of them where bad and had their pluses and minuses except maybe EEs. They would show cross beak and weird behaviors at times. Didnt care for them. The most overlooked breed are chanteclers. Super cold hardy, do fine in the heat and are a great dual purpose breed that so far seem to lay late into life and are good brooders. A slow and steady wins the race breed. After having them for many years I have no interest in getting another breed.

Back
Top Bottom