Healthiest chicken breeds

Pics

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
I've had chickens for just under a year now, and I've already had to learn some tough lessons: production layers get reproductive issues and eventually need to be culled, some breeds are prone to health issues, older chickens don't lay as much, and some just don't live that long. I started my flock by purchasing full grown hens of unknown age with abuse/neglect backgrounds, so I guess that probably made things a little tougher.

I am looking to add some youth to my flock this spring or summer and don't know what breeds to get.

My question for all of you is: what, in your experience, has been the overall healthiest breed you have kept? I'm talking in terms of health issues, cold hardiness, consistent egg laying over time, and a long life. It's probably better if you only share your experience if you've had more than a couple birds of a breed you recommend, because we know there are also exceptions. Please try to share where you got the chicks as well, because that seems to matter as well.

Thanks!!!

To answer your other question, I like to view it more like leghorns have the ABILITY to be flighty. I haven't found them to leave the property with no reason, or be birds that stress easily, quite the contrary actually, I feel more safe knowing that my birds can fly well and escape predator attacks! What I'm saying is, I would prefer to chase my chicken to get it back into the property (or for it to come back alone which is not unheard of) than for her to be an easy snack for a predator

I think that whether people consider some of these birds "flighty" vs "active, alert, and mischievous" is probably a matter of personal taste.

I like having a California White or two in my flock, but I don't think I'd enjoy an entire flock of them. Sort of like the difference between a dash of hot sauce vs drinking it straight. ;)

Interesting about the hatchery vs. breeder thing!

So sorry to see poor Slowpoke :( I am still interested in EEs, but I will have to look out for crossbeak or other physical deformities.

The best and most reputable breeders will have birds that are both fine specimens of their breed AND selected for long-term good health.

But I have, sadly, read too many cases here of people who *thought* they were getting fine breeder birds and found them less than desirable in reality. IMO, and people will argue with me I'm sure, most backyard chicken-keepers' needs are going to be met by hatchery-stock birds or even local barnyard mixes that have adapted over generations to local conditions. :)

EE's have a great reputation, though it seems that source matters greatly.

Feed quality/type, environment and overall husbandry are also going to play a huge roll in the health of your birds. I will list what I have, their environment/care and my least favorite breeds below.

The breeds I currently have:
-Maran
-Orpington
-Welsummer
-Sussex
-Faverolle
-Brahma
-Barnevelder
-Barred Rock
-Penciled Rock
-Wyandotte
-Polish
-Cochin Bantam
-D'uccle bantam
-Seabright bantam
-Old English Game bantam

Environmental conditions:
-Have a whole barn to themselves currently at night
-Free range on 30 acres during the day
-Have been exposed to temperatures from 110F in the summer to -12F (with -40Wind chill) and frequent high winds
-Access to fresh water 24/7
-Fed 20% protein flock raiser year round with oyster shells on the side

I have had no health issues besides the occasional bumble foot. I live in Iowa so it is currently winter here and in the past 7 days I have gotten almost a full 3 dozen eggs. My current flock were sourced from Meyer Hatchery, the Polish are from My Pet Chicken, the Bantams are from Orsheln who sources from Estes and the rest are ones that I hatched here on the farm from the original Meyer flock. This year I am ordering from Papa's Poultry for the first time.

Breeds that I would not recommend (if I'm being picky):

-Polish
Reasons? They tend to get more cruddy around the eye from the weight of the crest folding the skin, I had to cut their crest feathers so they could see otherwise they were running into things (like the barn wall) and they are pretty ditzy or at least the ones I have had were. I have walked over to one and went to pick it up to put it in the barn at night then it runs right into my shin, stumbles back and then runs right back into my shin again. They overall are the most fragile and have required the most extra care of the bunch for sure.

-Wyandotte
Reasons? Out of my entire flock they are the only two who like to pluck feathers. They do not eat the feathers and are not ruthless chasing the others down to pluck feathers, but they will reach over to another chicken standing next to them and just pluck a few feathers then walk away. I spend quite a bit of time outside especially in the summer around my chickens and again they are the only two who I have ever seen do this.

My favorite breeds that have become my favorits that have been faithful layers, healthy, cold hardy and just overall have a great temperament:

-Orpington
-Maran
-Welsummer
-Sussex
-Cochin Bantam

Another thing that occurred to me overnight,

I can't prove anything about this, but I have a hunch that longtime standard, common breeds are likely to be healthier than any recently trendy breed because of greater genetic diversity and longer selection.

Any trendy breed is likely to have had it's population explode by breeding even "iffy" quality birds so as to cash in on the trend -- breeding birds who really *ought* to have been culled just to get the numbers up.

Well, first of all I would like to preface this by saying nothing is set in stone. Buying birds of any breed from good breeders will increase your odds of success drastically.

That being said, I have one breed in mind, well actually more like two

The first one, the one I will recommend, are leghorns. They are beautiful, in my experience mostly heat hardy but I don't find them to be unable to handle cold weather at all. They will lay a LOT, and comparatively large eggs to their body size, with a little extra supplementation after reaching the age of 2 as a general rule

Now, they might not live the longest time, but with proper care, they will be fine up until that point

The second breed I'm mentioning is my actual winner, but not one I recommend to you in the slightest

That breed is the aseel

They are terrible egg layers, one of the reasons I don't think you should get them, but that is what makes them lay about the same ant in their first cycle, up until the last

They are by far prone to the least amount of health problems, as they GENERALLY don't get sick easily after the 8 months of life

They are also heat and cold hardy

I have had only 2 health problems in my flock, Slowpoke here, and a crossbeaked EE (crossbeak is *relatively* common in EEs).

As a generic recommendation, hatchery birds *ought* to be fairly vigorous because they breed for mass market in a competitive sales environment and can't afford unhealthy stock. When people say that they are "low quality" what they mean is that they may have only a vague resemblence to their stated breed.

Breeder stock birds *could* be exceptional specimens in terms of health OR they *could* be overly inbred (chickens can tolerate more inbreeding than many other animals), and lacking vigor -- you don't know until you check them out if the breeder has focused on health first or on type first.

Raising your own chicks or buying only young, POL pullets should set you up for a more trouble-free flock if you avoid the high-production breeds and focus on the barnyard classics. :)

You're 100% correct that how they start out is very important so do the research on where you are getting them from. Personally I dont do TSC because I DO shop there often considering how many animals I have and I watch the chicks and how they are handled, not good! BUT that's just my local TSC and I consider that my research as well as I know they source from Hoover and save $$ by not requesting vaccination from Hoover and I'm just not a big Hoover fan. So check, moving on. I have less than great feedback on other places which leads me to my chosen place, Privett. So a good start, then I do my best. Like has already been said, husbandry, I've been at this for a very long time and I think I provide very good care all things considered so that they can live their best lives possible. My best experience twice or more is with: Orpington, Marans, Welsummer. Looks like I have this in common with HollowOfWisps. Also on my list from Privett, EE and OE. I love Creme Legbars but I did have a runt once who never was quite right, layed tiny little eggs, died at 2.

I have had birds for over ten years and without fail the ones I have purchased from backyard breeders are the ones that wind up having the most issues.

This is an excellent point.

It is unfortunate that some people are simply too sentimental to cull a problem bird and thus ensure that any genetic component to the problem ends there. :(

I am with the two that mentioned Orpingtons and Marans as their choices. Also a vote for bantam Cochins, silkies and langshansI have not found lavenders in these breeds to be healthy but all other colors seem to do super well. I have had 4 lavender Orps and they have all had poor constitutions—one was hatchery (don’t know which one :-/) and three were from backyard breeders…so there’s that. However, I also have lavender laced, mauve, chocolate, and mauve splash Orpingtons and they are all super easy going, calm, friendly, healthy birds! All of them came from well known solid breeders—I think this really is crucial! My one hatchery Marans was the sweetest girl but I lost her to a crop issue. However, I also have a blue frizzle, a black, and a splash, and all are hardy calm birds also all from a well known breeder. The Orps and Marans are the backbone of my flock. I also have very healthy bantam Cochins, and very healthy silkies! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom