Healthy Chicken suddenly dies after having a seizure

Sorry for your loss. It would be helpful to get the necropsy if possible. Since it is Friday, they would probably need the body today if possible. I would doubt it being fatty liver disease at just barely a year old, especially if she was not overweight. I diagnosed it in only one of my hens, and it was hard to miss on a home necropsy. But the vet pathologists at the state lab do so much more. Let us know if you find out a cause.
Eggcessive, with this being my first flock, i am a bit unknowledgeable. I buried her quickly. Moving forward, i will give the chickens less scratch. I think i was giving too much, but i cant be sure. For example, how much chicken scratch can i give in one day for 6 pullets? Saying less than 10% of their overall feed doesnt make sense to me. I think i give a couple handfuls a day. Not big handfuls, but handfuls none the less. Thank you. Also, the 18% organic feed is what i give now and i think i need to get 16% layer feed instead. Gonna go grab a bag now. Thank you again. Your support means a lot 🐓❤️

I think that you are fine using an 18% protein feed. Fat and extra carbs is what to avoid. I would cut back to one small handful of scratch daily or every other day. They all love it, but it is like feeding candy. There are other possible causes of fatty liver than feed. She could have had most any kind of problem at one year. Hopefully, your others will all remain healthy.

Boss is high fat so also high calorie. Scratch is low nutrient for the energy it packs.

All my birds get 20% protein their whole life, it's NOT the protein content of your feed. And that's not what I would switch. Treat amount is more suspect, not discounting the genetic component or pointing any fingers. I DO think you were giving too much as described.

I agree that whole 10% rule is confusing and most chicken feed don't even have a calorie count listed.. so are we talking volume, or calories.. I think calories but surely volume becomes relevant at some point.

I didn't see it stated, but are your ladies getting their calcium on the side free choice?

switch to 16% layer feed- this should have been done when they started laying. It’s more nutritionally complete than chick starter for their age.
Only because of the calcium content.. otherwise as long as the calcium is supplemented free choice on the side the starter feed may be better. with higher protein and maybe even amino acid content. Many of us here refuse to use "layer" since learning the differences.

Boss is high fat so also high calorie. Scratch is low nutrient for the energy it packs.

All my birds get 20% protein their whole life, it's NOT the protein content of your feed. And that's not what I would switch. Treat amount is more suspect, not discounting the genetic component or pointing any fingers. I DO think you were giving too much as described.

I agree that whole 10% rule is confusing and most chicken feed don't even have a calorie count listed.. so are we talking volume, or calories.. I think calories but surely volume becomes relevant at some point.

I didn't see it stated, but are your ladies getting their calcium on the side free choice?

Only because of the calcium content.. otherwise as long as the calcium is supplemented free choice on the side the starter feed may be better. with higher protein and maybe even amino acid content. Many of us here refuse to use "layer" since learning the differences.
Well, i purchased the 16% Natures Best organic feed and immediately started using it. Do you think moving forward I should stick to the 18% chick starter? Attached is a pic of the ingredients. Thank you.

Thank you. Here is a side by side comparison of the chick starter vs the layer feed. Can you look and tell me your opinion? 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 99E9B6AB-1865-4599-9FE4-FFC94BC1DF8A.jpeg
    99E9B6AB-1865-4599-9FE4-FFC94BC1DF8A.jpeg
    700.4 KB · Views: 2
  • BC924128-4B72-4701-B8C4-F7AD1B55C049.jpeg
    BC924128-4B72-4701-B8C4-F7AD1B55C049.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 2
Hello my chicken friends,
This morning i went to let my chickens out and 1 was laying in the run hiding and when i found her, it appeared she was laying an egg the way she was laying down. I instantly knew something was off because her color was pale, and her pupils seems very dilated. She let me pet her, and then seemed to, like, freak out (not sure how to explain), but it appeared that her legs stopped working. I instantly picked her up and brought her inside my goal to wrap her in a small blanket. During that time, she didnt move really at all except a bit more. I sat down with her on my lap and in that time, she had passed away.
I have a flock of 6. They all appear very healthy and yesterday all gave me an egg. I went outside late last night to witness them all on the roost. I have an autodoor that opens into the run with the sun. Which means, she went outside to run this AM. I went out at 8:30am and thats when i witnessed her episode and shortly after, her death. I immediately starting digging a hole which i placed her in, still wrapped in the blanket. The rest of the flock seems good and my main question is to gain any insight from others who may have experienced something similar. These girls are all Gold laced wyanottes purchased from tractor supply company a year ago. My instincts tell me it was a heart attack, but she was out in run for about an hour after the auto door opened, and like i said looked unwell when i seen her. She did one episode of what looked like she wanted to get up to run, but looked to have no control and fell over. Thats when i picked her up, and she was dead within minutes. Can a heart attack display this way? My girls do free range for about 3 hrs a day throughout the day and i wonder if maybe she ate something poisonous and am now scared to let the others out just in case. I am looking for any advice, or insight. Thank you kindly.
*Time heals all wounds of the heart* Today my heart is heavy. 🐓❤️ RIP Delicious. You were such a good chicken. I have attached a pic of how she looked as soon as I seen her this morning.
So sorry.
One of my happy healthy hens died suddenly last year.
Necropsy showed healthy except for enlarged heart...heart attack or heart disease.
Sometimes there may be something wrong that is not visible, not curable.
I know how you feel though, I was shocked when my feisty, active Sweet Pea died in her sleep, literally still on the perch. The consolation is that while she was here, sharing life, She had a good one. ❤️

The chick starter or an all flock feed with 20% protein is just fine to use, as long as you make crushed oyster shell in a separate container available for those laying eggs. This is very easy when you have roosters and chicks or pullets too young to lay. But the layer feed is fine when you just have layers. My roosters did okay on layer with the extra calcium, but I would switch to all flock feed about half of the time.

So sorry.
One of my happy healthy hens died suddenly last year.
Necropsy showed healthy except for enlarged heart...heart attack or heart disease.
Sometimes there may be something wrong that is not visible, not curable.
I know how you feel though, I was shocked when my feisty, active Sweet Pea died in her sleep, literally still on the perch. The consolation is that while she was here, sharing life, She had a good one. ❤️
Thanks Liz, your sharing means so much. Knowing we are not alone is an important part of healing and getting through tough situations. 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom