Healthy snacks.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cupman, Jan 31, 2013.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I went to a friend's house recently and he had baby carrots, cherry tomatoes and light ranch for lunch. It inspired me to eat better snacks than chinese food and pizza. One snack I will share is air-popped popcorn with parmesean cheese as a flavor. Grated into a powder of course.

You have any tasty, healthy recipes?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    We like the carrots too.Hummus is good with them or on rice cakes.Apple slices with nut butters.Various nuts.Labne which is like a kefir cream cheese.Good on various breads.Kale chips.Easy to make in the oven.Nutritional yeast is good on popcorn.Burrito breads are great for wrapping things even something simple like hummus or avocado with shredded veggies.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My kids love this, the protein is a bit higher and the fiber much better than regular cake.

1T butter, 2 T cream, melt together
    when cool add 1 egg and beat
    Add flavoring like vanilla or peppermint, 3 drops

Blend together: 1 heaping T cocoa, 4 heaping T almond flour, 2 tsp oat bran, 1/4 tsp baking soda, pinch salt, 2-3 T splenda.

Mix the two together, then add 1/2 tsp vinegar.

Pour into a mug, place on a plate. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Adjust time to your microwave.

Cake in a cup.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THis is a new favorite.

Tunafish melt.

Basically it is grilled cheese with tuna fish salad added. You can add a slice of tomato too.
    ---------

grilled steak with grilled onions and mushrooms. Onions and mushrooms are very good for us-- cancer fighters.
    ------------

scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, or whatever your favorite cheese; my kids like parmesan cheese.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you guys are making me hungry. I am a major junk food eater and need to find healthy alternatives that I can tolerate.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Find a few good healthy alternatives to sub for the junk food.

Did you know that our bodies live in a state of inflammation because of the junk food??? Scry but true.

Try something new until you find something you like. Our markets are full of interesting fresh foods year round now!! My kids tried prickly pear-- not to their liking, but I sure enjoyed it.

sliced apples with peanut butter
    banana w/ peanut butter
    sliced tomato topped with parasan cheese and thyme and grilled in the oven
    brussel sprouts-- cover each in olive oil, sprinkle w/ salt, bake in oven until slighty brown and soft

Make your own BLT, or egg McMuffin. With or without the bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by