Heart Attack?

lisamayc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
I have had two chickens just up and die - not at the same time. In fact about 2 months apart. They showed no signs of being sick.

Both times is happened on the days when I was working on expanding their chicken coop and was using a pneumatic nail gun.

Is it possible the noise from the nail gun caused them to have a heart attack?

Did they die while you were working or later in the night after you put them to bed.
Did you change the layout of the coop , put a new ramp in or something. I ask this because we lost a Hen for no reason last year. Eleanor was fine when I locked her up and the next day I opened the coop and she was laying dead on the ground. The Vet thought she had either been spooked in the night or gotten disorientated and bashed into the roof or something else in the coop and broke her neck. We had changed the coop the day before and DH used a nail gun.

Oesdog - just a thought.
idunno.gif

They died either while I was working or shortly there after. Both times I discovered them when I went to let them out to free range. Their environment didn't change - I was actually adding on for 11 new arrivals.

Didn't know in which section I was going to post this . . . then I came across your post. I too am having trouble getting my head around this sudden death thing!

Like your girl, ours are all doing great . . . we like to think we are doing everything right. Coops and runs are secure from predators, I keep a list posted on the fridge of acceptable & unacceptable foods, we check on the girls (9) all through out the day (hubby is retired), they have free range time most everyday (always with supervision), and they lay eggs like champs.

So what happens? As we were out cleaning/feeding/watering yesterday we noticed the one coop/run with 4 girls had a lot of activity going on, a june bug had flown in the run and everybody was running around trying to get that big juicy bug, and we're laughing because they should all know by now Nugget (Barred Rock Banty) will get it, she always does! Bug flies into the coop and we hear this gosh awful squawk - figure someone is bragging "I got it!", then only 3 hens emerge from the coop. Few minutes later I think that's weird and check inside and find my beautiful Lacy (Silver Laced Wyandotte) dead of a broken neck! I am just numb - how could this happen? We've had our coops/runs for over 3 years now and felt we were accident proofed.

lisamayc, I know this doesn't answer your question - but I hope sharing helps - sometimes there are no answers - no one did anything wrong - I guess that's why they call them "accidents".

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom