1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heart-Shaped Boiled Eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ClareScifi, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I want to make the heart-shaped boiled eggs for a potluck.

Has anyone made them in this group, and, if so, how did they turn out?

Is there any thing I should watch out for when making them? Any tips? Will a pencil work as well for making the well-defined heart indentation as a chopstick does?

Any ideas for presentation and display?

Thanks for your help,

Clare

2. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    This is what they look like:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/5020399156_085f06e35a.jpg

What color of a serving tray do you think they'd look the best on? I have orange trays and green trays. I tend to think they'd be prettiest on a red background, though?

Maybe hey would fit on my deviled egg tray.

Do you think they would look cuter whole, egg-shaped, or cut in half like these, and should I sprinkle them with paprika?

3. chicken-wish

chicken-wish Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Hmmmm...I'm no decrative cooking expert, but I think they would look best in halves since they will show more obvious shape. After some thinking I think the red background sounds best with the paprika and a little bit of parsley chopped and sprinkled lightly on top (not fine but around fingernail sized so people can remove it before eating if they want). It seems like there should be something more though. Maybe some sort of decorative (possibly eatible) flower? I know that's something that may to too much, you can make that choice. I hope this helps some. There may be some one else here who has more experience with this sort of thing too.

By the way, I really like the idea, the hearts are neat looking.

4. RaspberrySalad

RaspberrySalad Out Of The Brooder

Those hearts are quite darling! I would vote on a nice red tray.

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for your ideas, Raspberry Salad and Chicken Wish! I appreciate everyone's input very much!

Chicken-Wish, I love your idea of incorporating edible flowers in my heart-shaped egg presentation! Hearts and Flowers-- so romantic!

Does anyone know where I could find edible flowers or candied flowers to buy this time of year? Would Wal-Mart have such a thing?

Thanks for your help,

Clare

6. tancurls

tancurls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Huntington Beach
    A week ago I bought the edable flowers at stater bros. grocery store near the organic veggies. That were $5 which I though was too much. Usually when serving on a platter people won't eat the garnish. If it were me I would not worry if the flowers were not eatable.

I also saw sugar flowers at Walmart near the melting chocolate in the craft section.

Hope this helps ;)

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    That is a huge help, TanCurls! Thank you so much!!!

8. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Did I miss something? How do you get them heart shaped in the first place?

9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Animals Are Awesome,

It's easy. Fold up a post card. Put your still-warm, just-cooked hard boiled egg inside the post card, lengthwise, with the length of the egg parallel to the crease. Press a pencil onto the egg, lengthwise, parallel to the fold. Secure each end of the pencil with a thick rubber band, with about 1" of each end of the post card. Place in fridge for 10 minutes. Remove. Take rubber bands off and remove pencil from egg. Slice egg, forming a plus sign with the egg crease (slicing egg crossways, not lengthwise).

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I should have added that you fold the standard sized post card lengthwise, not crosswise. Long side is folded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by