Heartbreak

A Renee

Chirping
Jul 17, 2022
Hello everyone,
Yesterday I posted after having an issue with my runner duck. Unfortunately she passed away a few hours later. I’m devastated. My concern today is that her partner, my male Pekin, is clearly heartbroken. What do I do? I have a flock of 11 now, so he certainly is not by himself. But he knows she is gone, he’s isolating and looks so very sad. Please help, any advice at all.

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I posted after having an issue with my runner duck. Unfortunately she passed away a few hours later. I’m devastated. My concern today is that her partner, my male Pekin, is clearly heartbroken. What do I do? I have a flock of 11 now, so he certainly is not by himself. But he knows she is gone, he’s isolating and looks so very sad. Please help, any advice at all.
sorry about your duck :hugs
I've never had that happen ( the part where the other chicken/duck is sad) even though I have had 8 deaths in my flock this year. The only thing that happened was that after a close relative died this year, my EE (odile) started just sitting in my lap doing chicken therapy.
My advice for your duck: give him lots of treats. walk him in fun places such as your garden. pet him and let him sit on your lap. I have never owned ducks (and probably never will) but that might work. the same idea happened with one of our dogs.

Is he your only drake? Where is he in the pecking order? Where was his female in the pecking order? Him and his girlfriend may have been lower in the pecking order and bonded. He may be feeling like an outsider now. Perhaps making 2 smaller groups by separating him with a few females would help?

Edited to add that I am deeply sorry for you & your drake's loss 🙏

Last edited:
Is he your only drake? Where is he in the pecking order? Where was his female in the pecking order? Him and his girlfriend may have been lower in the pecking order and bonded. He may be feeling like an outsider now. Perhaps making 2 smaller groups by separating him with a few females would help?

Edited to add that I am deeply sorry for you & your drake's loss 🙏
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I have one other drake and the rest females. He is definitely king and his companion that passed was the queen.

sorry about your duck :hugs
I've never had that happen ( the part where the other chicken/duck is sad) even though I have had 8 deaths in my flock this year. The only thing that happened was that after a close relative died this year, my EE (odile) started just sitting in my lap doing chicken therapy.
My advice for your duck: give him lots of treats. walk him in fun places such as your garden. pet him and let him sit on your lap. I have never owned ducks (and probably never will) but that might work. the same idea happened with one of our dogs.

Thank you, I appreciate your response.

Back
Top Bottom