heartbreaking loss

HeadChick

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2015
Tulsa, OK
We're having some construction work done on the people side of our yard. This morning the foreman's dog, a very sweet older lab mix, somehow made her way into our chicken run and killed all but one of our girls. I've just been in tears all day thinking of my poor sweet girls. My kids are absolutely devastated since they've pretty much raised this flock by hand since they hatched.
I don't really have a question or anything... just needed to share this with people who I know would understand these weren't just chickens, they were loved pets and part of our clan.

Oh HeadChick I'm so sorry to hear that. Breaks my heart. Mine are my babies too, all chosen by my Grandchildren so I totally get it. That is not how we want our babies to leave the world. Hugs to you ...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Recently I lost the remainder of my old flock too. Ever since we've had chickens (6+ years) they've free ranged without any problems. Suddenly out of nowhere some predator - most likely a fox - found them and killed all but one. It was a shock learning they had gone, but at least I can say they were very loved (and spoiled!) while they were with us. I'm sure your chickens were just as special.

hugs.gif
Stay strong.

MP

HeadChick I am so sorry to read of your loss.

I have lost a couple of gals due to health issues, internal laying, sudden death etc but I have never experienced a predator attack. My girls are my babies and I cry so much when I lose one. With illness you know that you have done all you can to help them, you can ensure that they pass peacefully and in some circumstances, their passing is a release from pain.

Any time we lose one of our feathered friends it is very sad but with health issues, we have time to process the fact that we may lose them. To lose more than one, in your circumstances would be a shock and also devastating
hit.gif

I understand that they were not just chickens, you are dealing with shock and grief and you are entitled to grieve as others would at the loss of a loved dog, cat or other family pet.

You are in my thoughts and have my sympathies
hugs.gif

So sorry for your loss. I also have lost some chickens so I understand how you are feeling. Was your surviving chicken injured?

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss...the dog owner owes you some money...I know that doesn't make it feel better, but still.

My thoughts are with you. I lost one the other day, found her in the bottom of the coop stiff and cold. Still not sure what was wrong, suspected internal laying. I wasn't up to doing a necropsy. It definitely wasn't disease, and doing one won't bring her back, so I just buried her. My chickens are my babies, I still miss Ginger every single day, and half of me always expects to see her free ranging with the others.

Back
Top Bottom