Heartbroken about my chickens

That is terrible, toomuch! I'm so sorry!

My one roo that I found was killed clean with not a feather out of place, for which I was thankful. It was the ones that I had to make THAT decision for that devastated me most.

I'm so sorry that happened. I have a prey driven dog that killed a neighbor's chicken in our yard and I certainly wouldn't gamble with my neighbor's pets knowing that now. I guess common courtesy isn't so common, like sense. :(

You don't want bad blood between you and neighbor but, it's already there. IF that @#$$&$@ dog ever comes back again, you need to photograph and document any damages /deaths etc. and especially any photo of the dog attacking birds or carrying one. Keep as evidence for police report or animal control officer. I'm sure the neighbor isn't losing any sleep worrying about his dog doing it again. You had a lot of damage and loss and personal grief. I bet they aren't as attached to their dog as you were to your chickens.

Anyone should know when farm animals are attacked they can be shot and killed in the act. If the dog comes again, and is approachable for you. Put it in your car and drive it to the dog pound. If the neighbor comes along asking if you've seen the dog. Say "not lately." which will be true.

I'm sorry if I seem to be over reacting but, I've been on BYC for over 5 years. I've read countless stories about neighbor dogs running loose and killing people's stock. Please don't set yourself up as the fall guy. Or when their dog chokes on a chicken bone, they'll say it was your fault for having chickens.

You don't want bad blood between you and neighbor but, it's already there. IF that @#$$&$@ dog ever comes back again, you need to photograph and document any damages /deaths etc. and especially any photo of the dog attacking birds or carrying one. Keep as evidence for police report or animal control officer. I'm sure the neighbor isn't losing any sleep worrying about his dog doing it again. You had a lot of damage and loss and personal grief. I bet they aren't as attached to their dog as you were to your chickens.

Anyone should know when farm animals are attacked they can be shot and killed in the act. If the dog comes again, and is approachable for you. Put it in your car and drive it to the dog pound. If the neighbor comes along asking if you've seen the dog. Say "not lately." which will be true.

I'm sorry if I seem to be over reacting but, I've been on BYC for over 5 years. I've read countless stories about neighbor dogs running loose and killing people's stock. Please don't set yourself up as the fall guy. Or when their dog chokes on a chicken bone, they'll say it was your fault for having chickens.

I agree with every word.

YOU don't want to be the bad neighbor?! THEY already ARE! What if next time your child is out there and tries defending the chickens while the loose dog is "playing"? Their dog has a history of trouble making IF a large vet bill doesn't shake them up.... ugh. Irresponsible owners drive me nuts.

It's true. But really I'm biding my time until they move in march. In all honesty, I think their oldest child is more a threat to my birds than anything else... but that's a story in itself.

The dog isn't a bad dog, and I think if I made a stir she could easily end up at the already crowded pound. The kids would be sad, and I think I'd feel a little like Mrs. Gulch riding off with toto! I really don't want to cause anyone the pain I feel over my chickens. :(

The neighbors were really apologetic and insisted on replacing them at the very least, but I just don't think I want that. I'm still so shell shock that when the dog barks in their yard my heart races. And my poor roo in recovery (who currently is struggling to walk) tripped all over himself trying to get away from a chicken-friendly dog he knows today, so I don't see him ever being canine friendly again.

The whole thing is just bad news bears.

Back
Top Bottom