Heartbroken. Duck raped chicken

HeatherMo

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
I have 1 drake, 4 female ducks and 6 hens. All pretty much raised together. My drake has always been such a good boy until this spring when his hormones went nuts. Yesterday he got my favorite chicken and did damage to her vent. She was bleeding and leaking poop. I literally cried over the chicken. I washed with water and peroxide and then used antibiotic cream. I kept her in my bathtub last night. She seems a bit better today. I gave my drake away today, cried again, he was my first duck. I brought my chicken back out to the run today and she seemed better but far from recovered. I just went out to check on her and she isn’t roosting with the others. She’s by herself. Her backend is really filthy and poopy and I don’t know how I can possibly keep it clean. I’m open to advice. What are the chances she is going to make it? I feel so sad and guilty that I let this happen, and also so sad that I had to get rid of my drake. I’m pretty attached to my birds. Anyone else have this happen and what was the end result?

:hugs I'm sorry.

Can you post some photos of the damage?

If possible, can you bring her in, if not crate or kennel her inside the coop?

She may need extra care - soaking her vent in warm epsom salts, cleaning the area and applying triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

A lot depends on the damage done. If vet care is an option that may be a good idea.
Chicken hens are not built for penetration, so a Drake can really cause some damage - possibly irreparable - time will tell.

Is she eating/drinking? I would get her hydrated first, then offer a little wet feed.

I'm sorry about your Drake and that you were not able to house him or keep him separated. It must be heartbreaking on all accounts.

I'll tag in some folks that may keep mixed flocks, I'm not sure if they have had this happen before or not. @casportpony @Miss Lydia

She may need extra care - soaking her vent in warm epsom salts, cleaning the area and applying triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

A lot depends on the damage done. If vet care is an option that may be a good idea.
Chicken hens are not built for penetration, so a Drake can really cause some damage - possibly irreparable - time will tell.

Is she eating/drinking? I would get her hydrated first, then offer a little wet feed.

I'm sorry about your Drake and that you were not able to house him or keep him separated. It must be heartbreaking on all accounts.

I'll tag in some folks that may keep mixed flocks, I'm not sure if they have had this happen before or not. @casportpony @Miss Lydia

DB78577C-BB99-41A8-9732-BAE5F186BB4E.jpeg

Does she have any exposed tissue (prolapse) or has it all gone back inside?

does the pic look like its prolapsed? I thought just swollen and injured but I guess I don’t know what I’m looking at. I guess it still looks similar to this pic.

Back
Top Bottom