Heartbroken !!!!!

Andee8302

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Ellsworth, Maine
Now that I have gotten attached to my babies, must BF has done nothing but complain about the cost of building a chicken coop and the run. He keeps saying it's getting out of hand. I guess he thought we could just basically throw them outside with a very small shed and fence about 3 feet high. When I told him it had to have a roof over it or hardware cloth on top, he again was not happy. (we have hawks and eagles here) I, on the other hand, want them very protected and big enough housing where they will be happy. UGH !!! I don't know what to do. I feel like I should find them a home.
hit.gif

If you haven't done so already, check Craigslist. Maybe someone is selling a used coop/shed. That may help with costs somewhat. If you have a vehicle that can haul something like a coop, expand your search to neighboring states. If you can't find any coops for sale, check the "materials" section and also"free stuff." You'll never know what you'll find that could help you with keeping your costs down. How many chickens do you have?

Another vote for craigslist, thats how we got our coop after I became discouraged at the cost of building (ok the cost of building "the one" I liked best). What we got is not perfect, but it was easy on the budget and the girls seem to like it just fine. Bonus: for an extra ten bucks the seller drove it to our house and helped the hubby get it in the back yard. I got a lot of good ideas from my local meet up group as well (do a search for chickens, urban chickens...stuff like that) there may be a group near you and they may be able to give you some referrals...both for a coop or in the worst case scenario, a home for your chicks (but I am keeping my fingers crossed it will not come to that!).

Good luck and try to not get discouraged.

Re-home the boy friend! Sorry but 33 years of marriage has set my priorities straight and if I have taken them into my care, they are mine to care for. And "I" do the care-taking.
There are also great ideas on this site about how to make simple, inexpensive housing. I made the addition to my coop using 1 x 3s, chicken wire, pvc pipes and zip ties. To make a box for them to lay and roost I've seen them made out of old tables, old console tv sets with the insides taken out and nesting boxes put inside. I do a lot of searching online for ideas. You're bound to find something that will work.
Good luck!

Madhens - I have 14 chicks. I came home with 6 and he went back and got 8 more, the day after. He thought I didn't get enough. LOL I have been checking craigslist and a few other sites. So far no luck but I still have time. Thanks !!

Thanks Kim, that's sweet of you !!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement !!! I was upset when I wrote this last night but after much thinking last night, I have decided that I am going to keep my girls. I don't ask for much and this is one thing I really want. Besides I have time to try and keep the cost low. Wish me luck !!
love.gif

Tell him to man up and get it done, simply scrounging around will reep rewards of scrap wood and cut costs... mine was 200 bucks

If the BF does not come around to your way of thinking I suggest rehoming him. Seriously though, if you are working, what you do with your money is your business. Keep up with the bills, and what you have left over goes towards what you want. Pick up a hammer and learn how to use it (not on the BF). Read the paper (craiglists) and look for the bargains. I know a friend who got a free 10 x 10 chain link dog pen just for moving it! Us girls got together to move it. I brought the farm truck which caused all kinds of comments and laughter.

I got pallets for free from a local company, and ripsawed the boards off to make my coop. I get five-gallon buckets from the bakery (prior frosting buckets) and am using them for nesting boxes. My neighbor is a construction foreman and he gave me some of that 80 mil super roofing to use. I have enough for another coop or two. Altogether, mostly due to chicken wire costs, and the studs for framing, I have about $50 or $60 into the coop. I got hinges and nails from the Catholic re-Store place. I cut the bottom off of a five-gallon bucket and set a three-gallon bucket down inside for feed and made another for water. Cheap can be done. I will post pics and "hellos" on here as soon as I can. I am a firm believer in frugality. We just went around last night and collected a full sheet of plywood, two raised garden beds, and two pallets (with solid 1" plywood on top- these will be the base of my next coop), three milk crates (nesting boxes, with a little refab), and some PVC pieces and parts( which will hopefully be my new feeder) from the things put out for garbage pick-up today. Remember that all situations are temporary, including this one. I am praying for a speedy and peaceful resolution for you! - C

You can just throw them outside if the shed is big enough. You can have a 3 foot fence also if you don't want to walk into it. Cover it with deer fence to keep the hawks out & lock them up every night and they will be perfectly safe. I had times over the last 19 years when I just had a plastic garden fence around my chicken yard. Not everything has to be as elaborate as some people are doing. Depends on what you want & how you can cope with the possible loss of a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom