Heartstopper! I thought Thor was dead!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I just took some feed out to the adult coop to refill the feeder. It's naptime for the big birds, something I've noticed they do each day this time of year.
I walked right by my adult roo, Thor. The big boy, the roo of all roos. He was asleep with his head tucked under his wing - something I've never seen him do before. He was so still it scared me. I called his name, he opened one eye to acknowledge me, then tucked his head further under the wing and continued snoozing.
Chickens are going to be the death of me yet!
barnie.gif

I seem to have the same fear every time I see one who has gone to sleep while dustbathing! How on earth is laying on your side ,one foot up, the other sticking out, head turned around on your back, one wing out-the other down, w/ dirt half covering you-- comfy enough for a nap!!!!!

I so seldom see Carl relaxing, he's almost always upright, either striding around or standing in full Buckingham Palace guard mode. The first time I saw him IN a little foxhole, all happy and sleepy, with other little foxholes also occupied by chickens, I was SO startled. Another time I saw him dustbathing with his favorite hen, Lacey, very close together, and at one point he had a wing across her back while he was kicking in the soil... so unlike The Great And Mighty Carl. So tender.

I've NEVER seen him asleep any place other than on the roost, and then he awakens within seconds to fix me with That Look.

I'd have felt MY heart at least leap into my throat, had I seen Carl asleep like your Thor.

My adult chickens are all molting right now and being so quiet it's spooky. Thor doesn't look so studly with about half of his beautiful mane (hackles) missing. Perhaps that's it. Perhaps his head was cold.

Last edited:
I'm glad Thor is still with us.

My mob are moulting too and look very straggly.

My big boys lie on their sides in the autumn sun looking like they have been flattened. I have thought they were ill on a number of occasions.

sandie

Back
Top Bottom