heat alternative for remote locale

goodeggsforyou

Songster
12 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Walla Walla, WA
Hi All.

About to get chicks for the first time and our coop is located too far from the house to run electricity for heat (or anything) unless we have a perpetual, super long, extension cord running across the property which our dog would possibly chew through anyhow.
Looking for suggestions from those who know. What are some good alternatives??
I'd Love to put a solar heat lamp out there but it doesn't seem they really exist (at least in an effective and affordable range). Anyone know of any, or a battery or other operated?
Anyone dealt well with this same situation?
Should we just keep the chicks inside in a box with a warming lamp until it warms up, etc, and if we do will they adjust o.k. later being placed in the coop?

I sure would appreciate any suggestions, or advice.

With Sincere thanks and appreciation!
jumpy.gif

Our coop is also too far away for electricity. Our chicks hang out in a box in the living room under a heat lamp right now. Once they start getting stinky they'll go out to the garage but will keep the heat lamp. We will gradually move it farther & farther away to slowly acclimate them. Once they're at the same temp as the unheated garage they're ready to go into the coop.

I've read about people hooking up a light to a car battery. Though I have no idea how to do it myself. I read about it in "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" if that's any help whatsoever!

Back
Top Bottom