heat and cold hardy chicken breeds or hybrids?

drangle

Songster
Sep 1, 2022
Southeast colorado
Hey all. I am looking for suggestions on breeds that are both heat and cold hardy. or ideas for hybrids/ crosses that will fit the bill.

it gets very hot here. 100 degree days are very common. sometimes even 105, winters are pretty dry but are fairly cold, 30 degrees during the day, low teens at night.

I have some australorps that I think will do well but looking for other suggestions too.

oh i hadnt thought about phoenix chickens or other ornamental breeds, those would be interesting to cross with an egg layer.

I am thinking about crossing leghorns with Orpingtons and marans. I have to until spring for that though.

it gets very hot here. 100 degree days are very common. sometimes even 105, winters are pretty dry but are fairly cold, 30 degrees during the day, low teens at night.

That's not really a particularly cold winter so you can probably focus on heat tolerance.

Australorps are great hot-climate birds. Also anything Mediterranean -- though those big combs *can* be subject to frostbite, especially if it's both cold and wet.

My most weather-indifferent individual bird was a Light Brahma, though she was never tested over about 98F and did spend all hot afternoons dug into a "foxhole" in a prime location in the deepest shade.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Back
Top Bottom