Heat and the Developing Chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicky Tocks, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I've read that as the chick grows to fill the egg that they put off heat. I'm noticing just this past couple of days that my incubator is running hotter. I'm on day 16 and the chicks are really starting to fill up the eggs. My temps have been stable at 100-101 degrees until the last 24 hours or so, It's going up as high as 103.7 I'm concerned to say the least.

My bator is a still air Miss Prissy style. Is the developing chick creating this additional heat? I'm afraid to turn the temp back because I'm not sure what's happening here. I've been pulling corks to try to get some of the heat out, but then the humidity takes a nosedive. I certainly don't want to cook my babies!

Any help?

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    thats exactly whats happening and is a normal good sign, You will need to turn it down as it will keep goin up.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Thanks for the response [​IMG] I just looked in and it was over 103 again so I grabbed the screwdriver and took it down a notch until the light went out.
    I just wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly what I thought I had read.

5 days to go! [​IMG]

4. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    This explains why my only temp fluctuations occurred right before hatching time! I thought it was just Murphy's law!

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    This happened to me with my LG. I had a steady reading of 100 degrees then it suddenly started going as high as 102! My hydrometer was stuck on the memory and reading 85% humidity (good humidity for ducks) so I didnt check the water level. When I restarted the hydrometer the humidity was in the 20's! I checked the water and sure enough everything was getting pretty dry. If this is in the middle and the temp is suddenly high double check the humidity!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by