Heat Exhaustion questions

kgb6days

Songster
Mar 6, 2016
I found one of my Leghorns yesterday somewhat stuporous. We've had a week of high 90's with 'real feel' at 115. All other chicks are ok and have electrolyte solution available to them. I immediately took her into the house, cooled her off with cool water and a fan and started electrolyte solution. As of today she had not eaten anything - even her favorite treats - but I'm not pushing that. I've been giving her 20 mls of electrolyte solution with a syringe every hour or so. She will drink from the end of the syringe with a little encouragement. She just squawked a protest which is the most life I've seen from her since yesterday afternoon. Otherwise she has been doing a lot of sleeping or quietly looking around. She layed an egg with a soft shell during the night and has had two liquid stools. She is perking up but I just wanted advise from those of you with more experience than me. Is there anything else I should be doing for her? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Kristy

I do NOT consider myself an expert, lemme just say that first. :p
Perhaps sit with her in a basement, garage, or concrete building. The watery poop isn't too worrysome; it comes from extra water consumption during hot weather and -gross- melting in the sun. Make sure she has plenty of room to move, and cool off.

Last edited:
I do NOT consider myself an expert, lemme just say that first.
tongue.png

Perhaps sit with her in a basement, garage, or concrete building. The watery poop isn't too worrysome; it comes from extra water consumption during hot weather and -gross- melting in the sun. Make sure she has plenty of room to move, and cool off.

Thanks! I've got her in the house in a wire crate so she can stay cool - have a little fan on her as well. I'm hoping she pulls through this

Unfortunately my hen died this morning. She laid at least 3 eggs within 24 hours, so the consensus is that she had a backup of some type in her reproductive system that caused an infection that was overwhelming.
Kristy

Back
Top Bottom