Heat Exhaustion?

Sandwitch

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
So I'm a bit worried about our Easter egger Hawk she's a pretty fluffy gal and doesn't do well with heat at all. We provide shade, water and "peepsicles" but we went outside and she was super lethargic. Occasionally she would get up and wander around rather listlessly typically with her eyes closing. She actually startled herself bumping into my moms hand which is very usual especially since Hawk is a pretty active chicken. We grabbed her and set her up in a garage where it's a nice 73° it was only really 90° outside but she was doing very poorly. I'm hoping she will have a bit to eat drink and maybe take a little nap somewhere relatively cool I have some nutridrench that I'll go give her in a sec but she does seem to be doing a bit better and is certainly not super thrilled with her confinement. She wasn't panting like I'd have suspected she would her wings weren't out she didn't seem to really even be trying to regulate her temp. I largely want advice on if you guys do think her issue was the heat or if it was something else because the lathergic wandering around without panting or holding her wings out was not what I would've expected?

She wasn't panting like I'd have suspected she would her wings weren't out she didn't seem to really even be trying to regulate her temp.
When was her last egg?
What's her poop like?

Work on hydration, get extra calcium into her and provide her with wet mushy feed.
Hard to know if it's heat exhaustion or if she's having trouble with an egg.

When was her last egg?
What's her poop like?

Work on hydration, get extra calcium into her and provide her with wet mushy feed.
Hard to know if it's heat exhaustion or if she's having trouble with an egg.
She had laid earlier that day and while we had her in the garage she did poop and it didn't look too unusual.

She's doing much better today even laid another egg despite it being warmer today than yesterday. Rest and hydration seemed to help her a lot!

I'm glad she's doing better.

Heat can really cause them to go down hill quickly, good thinking moving her to a cooler area and working on getting fluids into ther.
Hopefully she will bounce back with no issues, I'd keep watch on her.

You can offer electrolytes to your flock during hot weather, just make sure they also have a source of fresh plain water as well.

Back
Top Bottom