Heat for 4 week old chicks

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
my chicks are just turning 4 weeks old. I have a MHP with a heating pad that has 9 temp settings. I just turned it down to 3 today. They still go under at night but not sure if for the heat or just for the comfort of it. They are pretty much out all day but one here or there may go under it. They are in my house which ranges from 64/65 at night to 70 during the day. Should I turn it down again in a couple days, then a couple days after and try to wean them completely off the heat in the next week or so since my house is at a decent temp or should I leave it in for another couple weeks? We are still working on the coop (almost done) then have to build the run but hopefully can have them in the coop in a few weeks full time but hoping maybe next week I can start bringing them out there on nice days (we are still ranging temps from 50-70 during the day).

my chicks are just turning 4 weeks old. I have a MHP with a heating pad that has 9 temp settings. I just turned it down to 3 today. They still go under at night but not sure if for the heat or just for the comfort of it. They are pretty much out all day but one here or there may go under it. They are in my house which ranges from 64/65 at night to 70 during the day. Should I turn it down again in a couple days, then a couple days after and try to wean them completely off the heat in the next week or so since my house is at a decent temp or should I leave it in for another couple weeks? We are still working on the coop (almost done) then have to build the run but hopefully can have them in the coop in a few weeks full time but hoping maybe next week I can start bringing them out there on nice days (we are still ranging temps from 50-70 during the day).
Yeah, just slowly take it away...once they are fully feathered at around 6-7 weeks, they could move out

I’m debating this myself, we use a heat lamp, but we have chicks ranging from 3 weeks to 5 weeks. We have temperatures of 75-80 in our house, closer to 75 at night. But I feel like the bigger chicks are okay without the light but we have 2 silkies (youngest, and their 3 weeks) I wonder whether they still need the light or not.

I’m debating this myself, we use a heat lamp, but we have chicks ranging from 3 weeks to 5 weeks. We have temperatures of 75-80 in our house, closer to 75 at night. But I feel like the bigger chicks are okay without the light but we have 2 silkies (youngest, and their 3 weeks) I wonder whether they still need the light or not.
Try turning it off for a little while during the day (when you're able to supervise) and watch their behavior. If they act as they normally do, then they can probably go without during the day for about a week, then without it at night too.

If the youngest ones huddle up, or start chirping loudly, then they're too cold and still need the extra heat. Though they may start chirping once you remove the heat lamp simply because they're used to it, so you'll need to observe to determine if it's cold or fright that's upsetting them.

You can turn it down a lot faster, like every 2-3 days at this point, as your house is so warm. That way they'll be completely done with heat in about a week.
ok thanks. that is what I was thinking was turn it down to 2 on Sat/Sun. then to 1 on Tue or so then off on Thurs or so and see how they are. just didn't want to do it too fast on them but don't think they really need it. next question should I leave it in there for them to sleep under when I turn it off or take it out and put another little roost in there (they have 1 but not big enough for all of them and they don't sleep on it but under the MHP.

Try turning it off for a little while during the day (when you're able to supervise) and watch their behavior. If they act as they normally do, then they can probably go without during the day for about a week, then without it at night too.

If the youngest ones huddle up, or start chirping loudly, then they're too cold and still need the extra heat. Though they may start chirping once you remove the heat lamp simply because they're used to it, so you'll need to observe to determine if it's cold or fright that's upsetting them.
think I may try to turn it off during they day for mine and see how they do, just worried I will forget to turn it on at night but guess if they don't settle down and go to bed then maybe I will remember. hahaaa.

next question should I leave it in there for them to sleep under when I turn it off or take it out and put another little roost in there (they have 1 but not big enough for all of them and they don't sleep on it but under the MHP.

You can leave it in (unpowered) for a couple days, might help them to adjust to being without "mama." Personally I just close up the brooder, so when heat is gone, everything is gone, but I don't mind being more aggressive about getting them off heat/in with the adults.

I've done training roosts in the brooder and I've skipped training roosts entirely... doesn't seem to make any difference for me, but then again I have adults to show them how and where to roost.

You can leave it in (unpowered) for a couple days, might help them to adjust to being without "mama." Personally I just close up the brooder, so when heat is gone, everything is gone, but I don't mind being more aggressive about getting them off heat/in with the adults.

I've done training roosts in the brooder and I've skipped training roosts entirely... doesn't seem to make any difference for me, but then again I have adults to show them how and where to roost.
I put a small roost in there more for something else for them to do and stand on not even to "train" so figured maybe with out the MHP and more space another one might come in handy since only about 4 can sit on the one I have right now. think I need them off heat ASAP though so I can free up some space in there (they do stand on the MHP and can go under it so maybe it won't help) I had a bloody chick today from what looks like her tail feathers getting picked at. not sure what to do to stop that? I know another post and I do have one started.

think I need them off heat ASAP though so I can free up some space in there (they do stand on the MHP and can go under it so maybe it won't help) I had a bloody chick today from what looks like her tail feathers getting picked at. not sure what to do to stop that? I know another post and I do have one started.
Can you post (repost) photos of your set up as it is right now? Is there any way to expand brooder space and/or add more enrichment? Picking is more likely a problem with crowding/boredom so once they're out of the brooder that should (hopefully) clear up, but you definitely don't want it to continue or worsen.

Back
Top Bottom