Heat for the winter???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JoeQ, Nov 11, 2018.

1. JoeQ

JoeQ Chirping

Mar 25, 2018
    Hatboro Pa
    Does anyone add heat of any kind during the winter months, I'm in the northeast and our winters get ugly, I plan on covering the coop with the exception of the doors so they get fresh air, they have a box that is connected to the coop that they go in and was wondering if a ceramic heater or some other source was necessary, if not necessary perhaps it would make them more comfortable. any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

Lady_Bat and NoFlyBackFarm like this.
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a friend who lives in Alaska. Her coop is insulated but not heated. She does have mostly Rose Comb birds.

Lady_Bat and NoFlyBackFarm like this.
  3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Lady_Bat likes this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I wouldn't add heat. Just keep them dry and drafts off of them, they should be fine. You could put extra hay/straw in their pen/cage for them to bury up in if they choose.

Lady_Bat likes this.
  5. WILIFORD

WILIFORD Chirping

Sep 12, 2017
    I have never actually done this, but my grandfather was a farmer in Oklahoma. He would feed cayenne pepper to the turkeys and chickens in the winter to keep them from freezing. I can say I use to take cayenne pepper in the winter when I had a job where I was exposed to the weather and It did keep me a lot warmer.

6. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I add heat a 100 watt reptile bulb. It can swing 50 degrees from day to night. Tonight it’s going to be 15 degrees.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My brother lives in northern Michigan and when it gets in the teens and lower they have a heat lamp they hang where it's not close to anything that can catch fire and their birds do hang out under it at night.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I don’t know if cayenne keeps them warmer or not. I do know it will make their yolks a deeper color of orange. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: