Heat for the winter???

JoeQ

Chirping
Mar 25, 2018
Hatboro Pa
Does anyone add heat of any kind during the winter months, I'm in the northeast and our winters get ugly, I plan on covering the coop with the exception of the doors so they get fresh air, they have a box that is connected to the coop that they go in and was wondering if a ceramic heater or some other source was necessary, if not necessary perhaps it would make them more comfortable. any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

I wouldn't add heat. Just keep them dry and drafts off of them, they should be fine. You could put extra hay/straw in their pen/cage for them to bury up in if they choose.

I have never actually done this, but my grandfather was a farmer in Oklahoma. He would feed cayenne pepper to the turkeys and chickens in the winter to keep them from freezing. I can say I use to take cayenne pepper in the winter when I had a job where I was exposed to the weather and It did keep me a lot warmer.

My brother lives in northern Michigan and when it gets in the teens and lower they have a heat lamp they hang where it's not close to anything that can catch fire and their birds do hang out under it at night.

I have never actually done this, but my grandfather was a farmer in Oklahoma. He would feed cayenne pepper to the turkeys and chickens in the winter to keep them from freezing. I can say I use to take cayenne pepper in the winter when I had a job where I was exposed to the weather and It did keep me a lot warmer.
I don’t know if cayenne keeps them warmer or not. I do know it will make their yolks a deeper color of orange. ;)

Back
Top Bottom