Heat lamp and brooder box

tamaras999

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
I know until the babies are fully feathered they need heat lamp. My babies are 2/3 weeks starting to get their feathers. I know they do need the heat lamp most of the day can I start weaning them a little giving them an hour or so break from it they are inside my house where temp is 70 degrees. And how often do you change shavings in brooder box. And best ways to dispose of them?? I’m a new chick mom trying to make sure I do everything right

Babes don't need as much heat as most people give them after the first few days. (May I submit my broody hens who have chicks out in snow scratching and pecking by day 4?)

Usually you start at 90 degrees or so and raise the lamp up each week so that you are going down by 5 to 10 degrees each week. By the time they are fully feathered (6 weeks), they should be down to ambient temps of 70 degrees household. At that time, they should be hardened off for weather outside if cold by exposing them a few hours each day to build up, often in the garage, depending on how cold outdoor temps are.

As to changing litter. Depends on how many birds in what size of area and what type of bedding. Generally with a standard small brooder and about 6 to 8 chicks, I deep clean and change at least once a week doing daily tidy ups. (One of the reasons I went to broody hens...no more mess in the house).

Water and feed should always be neat and tidy (I know...5 minutes later they've got it gunked up again).

Enjoy your new littles.

LofMc

can I start weaning them a little giving them an hour or so break from it they are inside my house where temp is 70 degrees.
Yes. You can also lower the temperature of the room they're in by cracking open a window in conjunction.
And how often do you change shavings in brooder box. And best ways to dispose of them??
Depends on brooder litter, amount of space, number of birds, etc. When I brooded indoors it was about every 3 days (3 chicks, aspen shavings, in a bathtub). As far as disposal, again it depends on materials, and whether you want to try and compost it, or if tossing it is easier.

Just make sure that they have a warm area they can go to when they want it rather than trying to keep the entire brooder warm.

These are my Easter hatch babies this morning when it was just barely over 40F. Yes, they're huddling because they were frightened by the noise the brooder door makes, but when I looked in the window before I opened the door they were already over they by the vent wall looking out a the green world.

0427220742.jpg

I always feel like "here comes the least popular opinion," when I post on these heat questions but, you know, you need differing perspectives to then make your own decisions. I don't "work my way down" to *70, I start there. I provide a heating pad over wire frame (MHP.) I have 2 thermometers. One under MHP reads about *80 for first few days; ambient room temp *70. Temps of *90, *95, *100 are just NOT in my vernacular. Up to you but good to remember that more chicks die from excessive heat then they do from cold......

I always feel like "here comes the least popular opinion," when I post on these heat questions but, you know, you need differing perspectives to then make your own decisions. I don't "work my way down" to *70, I start there. I provide a heating pad over wire frame (MHP.) I have 2 thermometers. One under MHP reads about *80 for first few days; ambient room temp *70. Temps of *90, *95, *100 are just NOT in my vernacular. Up to you but good to remember that more chicks die from excessive heat then they do from cold......
Yep!!! For 8 years I have very successfully raised my chicks in a wire brooder pen out in the run, even when our springtime (chick season) temps are in the teens and twenties. Around here we can get snow in June. I use Mama Heating Pad exclusively, and the temp under the pad the one time I measured it was a balmy 82.5 degrees.

Think about that familiar child’s toy, the Easy Bake Oven. It’s a plastic shell containing a light bulb. Now, think about folks who insist that the temperature under a heat lamp in a plastic tote has to be 100 degrees. Poor chicks!!! :hmm

Back
Top Bottom