Heat lamp, brooder plate, or both?

megg0728

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 6, 2015
Arkansas
I recently received a batch of baby chicks threw the mail. (First time ordering by mail) I have only raised baby chicks one other time, and did great. This time has been horrible and heartbreaking, I have already lost 4 of my 10 babies I ordered by mail. I had one baby that wasn't alive when they arrived, and another I lost about an hour after they arrived. Then I lost one 2 days later, and one this morning. Could they be getting too cold? I have a brooder heat plate, and I have a heat lamp on while I am home. My husband is a fire fighter, and worries about the lamp, so he doesn't want it on if we aren't home.I have them in my sunroom. Its full of windows and it was an add on and there are no vents to allow warm air from the house in. I do have 2 rooms attached to the sun room with French doors. I leave those open to allow heat from the house in there. And I have 2 space heater with thermostats (they shut off on their own) in there running as well. It has been cool this past week here in AR, and the low tonight is 38. Should they be ok with just the brooder plate? Or do I need more heat? Could they be getting too hot? I was told by someone from the hatchery that the brooder plate is enough heat as long as the temp in the room doesn't get below 40. Thoughts? Opinions? TIA

I recently received a batch of baby chicks threw the mail. (First time ordering by mail) I have only raised baby chicks one other time, and did great. This time has been horrible and heartbreaking, I have already lost 4 of my 10 babies I ordered by mail. I had one baby that wasn't alive when they arrived, and another I lost about an hour after they arrived. Then I lost one 2 days later, and one this morning. Could they be getting too cold? I have a brooder heat plate, and I have a heat lamp on while I am home. My husband is a fire fighter, and worries about the lamp, so he doesn't want it on if we aren't home.I have them in my sunroom. Its full of windows and it was an add on and there are no vents to allow warm air from the house in. I do have 2 rooms attached to the sun room with French doors. I leave those open to allow heat from the house in there. And I have 2 space heater with thermostats (they shut off on their own) in there running as well. It has been cool this past week here in AR, and the low tonight is 38. Should they be ok with just the brooder plate? Or do I need more heat? Could they be getting too hot? I was told by someone from the hatchery that the brooder plate is enough heat as long as the temp in the room doesn't get below 40. Thoughts? Opinions? TIA
Could they possibly be getting trampled and suffocated and how big is the space you keep them in? Sorry for your loss. :hugs

I'm picking up a brooder thermometer today. Along with another lamp, and brooder plate. Just to make sure they have enough room under the plate. I tried to check the temperature last night but all I had to use was my husband's digital meat thermometer..🤦 but it showed at the bottom of the brooder under the heat lamp was 80 degrees. I know it needs to be warmer. But they also have the brooder plate to get under. I mostly have the lamp on to keep the outside temperature from getting too cold for them. I converted my dog crate into a brooder. Here is a picture of my setup.

Attachments

• 20210402_195550.jpg
    20210402_195550.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 38
I don't think they are getting trampled. And thank you, it's been a difficult week.
I guess they are getting too cold. I haver had a problem with heat lamps other than on time the waterer got too close to it an the top melted. I would use the heat lamp but position it about 3 feet above the floor of the brooder and make sure there is somewhere they can get out of the light.

Overheating is a bigger issue than under heating. They MUST be able to get away from the heat one way or another, so if you have a heat plate + a lamp, there's no relief from the heat. If you feel you must use the heat lamp, I'd place it quite a good distance away, so it's just barely heating up the room past the 40F the plate recommends for usage, and make sure it is well secured (do not rely on the clamp to hold it, it should be secured via clamp, cord and hanging loop).

My guess is shipping was very hard on these chicks and that's what's causing the losses. Did you give them anything to help boost them through the stress when they arrived, such as Poultry Nutri-Drench, electrolytes, etc?

Overheating is a bigger issue than under heating. They MUST be able to get away from the heat one way or another, so if you have a heat plate + a lamp, there's no relief from the heat. If you feel you must use the heat lamp, I'd place it quite a good distance away, so it's just barely heating up the room past the 40F the plate recommends for usage, and make sure it is well secured (do not rely on the clamp to hold it, it should be secured via clamp, cord and hanging loop).

My guess is shipping was very hard on these chicks and that's what's causing the losses. Did you give them anything to help boost them through the stress when they arrived, such as Poultry Nutri-Drench, electrolytes, etc?
Good post!!! I recommend honey water for shipped chicks

Back
Top Bottom