HEAT LAMP FIRE

kelsfarm

Chirping
Feb 19, 2022
PSA-

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

DO NOT USE HEAT LAMPS!!!!!!!

Getting back from grabbing some food, walked through the door smelled smoke… Ran to the spare room where the baby chicks are and smoke was just pooling out of their brooder!! The brand new heat lamp I got for my chicks CAUGHT ON FIRE!!!! LUCKILY got home in time and my chicks are all okay!!! Could have been a lot worse thankfully came home in time!!!

Did some googling and I am not the only one this happened to, people have lost animals and even entire farms!! THEY ARE DANGEROUS

LET THIS BE YOUR WARNING!

I will be getting a heat plate first thing tomorrow from the farm store and THROWING ALL HEAT LAMPS AWAY!!

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

I am SO lucky my babies are okay, and my home for that matter!!!

Has this happened to anyone else?!

I couldn't agree more.:eek:

I burned a coop down to the ground with a flood lamp placed in it to help pullets transition to the outdoors in November (about 10 years ago). My first flock. Nothing but an ash pit left. New outdoor rated flood lamp. New outdoor rated extension cord. Threw the breaker in the house for that end. Burned the extension cord 1/3 way back to house. Thank God missed our firewood pile, which was next to the neighbor's firewood pile (thank you too to my Oregon wet for that). I could have been Mrs. O'Leary for my area. Went up sometime in the night between midnight (when I went to bed) and 7am (when my husband got up). Nothing left but smoldering ash. Lost all birds. Must have gone up like a roman candle burning complete. Only hardware left in the ash pit where the coop once stood in the morning.

Never. Ever. Use a heat lamp around chicks/chickens. It's why I went to natural brooding for the last 10 years.

I'm so glad you were able to save the chicks and didn't burn down the house!

See photo below! Please NEVER use a heat lamp in a coop or garage.

This......
1645852302401.png

went to this....

1645851882235.png

LofMc

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more.:eek:

I burned a coop down to the ground with a flood lamp placed in it to help pullets transition to the outdoors in November (about 10 years ago). My first flock. Nothing but an ash pit left. New outdoor rated flood lamp. New outdoor rated extension cord. Threw the breaker in the house for that end. Burned the extension cord 1/3 way back to house. Thank God missed our firewood pile, which was next to the neighbor's firewood pile (thank you too to my Oregon wet for that). I could have been Mrs. O'Leary for my area. Went up sometime in the night between midnight (when I went to bed) and 7am (when my husband got up). Nothing left but smoldering ash. Lost all birds. Must have gone up like a roman candle burning complete. Only hardware left in the ash pit where the coop once stood in the morning.

Never. Ever. Use a heat lamp around chicks/chickens. It's why I went to natural brooding for the last 10 years.

I'm so glad you were able to save the chicks and didn't burn down the house!

See photo below! Please NEVER use a heat lamp in a coop or garage.

This......
View attachment 3005696

went to this....

View attachment 3005695

LofMc
I am so sorry that happened to you… I’m so sorry for your loss no matter how long ago it happened. You and I both sure did learn from our mistakes ❤️

I have always used a hanging heat lamp over a brooder and consider it safe. No metal clip to heat things up/light them on fire, nothing touching the metal. And it doesn't even get that hot.
Sorry that stuff happened to you guys. I'll keep it in mind.
But I do plan to keep using my lamp. I've actually got a new batch coming in a few weeks. :cool:

I use a reptile heat lamp attached to the side of a plastic tote. The chicks started jumping out so now it is attached to a wooden chair beside the brooder with a metal grate underneath. This is the best picture I have. Underneath the towel is a metal guinea pig cage cover. I have raised 3 batches of chicks and have never had any problems. I know it is not the safest but the brooder plates aee so darn expensive.
20220212_230959.jpg

When they are little it is clipped on the tote.
20220205_223404.jpg

I use a reptile heat lamp attached to the side of a plastic tote. The chicks started jumping out so now it is attached to a wooden chair beside the brooder with a metal grate underneath. This is the best picture I have. Underneath the towel is a metal guinea pig cage cover. I have raised 3 batches of chicks and have never had any problems. I know it is not the safest but the brooder plates aee so darn expensive.
View attachment 3005706
When they are little it is clipped on the tote.
View attachment 3005708
This was exactly my set up but a metal trough… I read about heat lamps being dangerous but told myself I’ll just keep an eye on it, Ittl be fine, it won’t happen to me… and it did! I was the same way, oh that plate is more expensive I’ll just get the lamp. But now, my view is completely changed and it’s 100% worth the extra $40 or so $$ to me. I could have lost my whole house! I’m not bashing on those who decide to use them, just sharing my experience and spreading awareness to those who don’t know. I’m glad this set up has been working for you, just please be careful ❤️ I have attached the best photos I have of my setup.

Attachments

• B3A261EF-03EA-4F5B-978E-1FD5CC4A7157.jpeg
    B3A261EF-03EA-4F5B-978E-1FD5CC4A7157.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 6D1DC48F-AE03-481B-9503-38F0401315E2.jpeg
    6D1DC48F-AE03-481B-9503-38F0401315E2.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 12
I have always used a hanging heat lamp over a brooder and consider it safe. No metal clip to heat things up/light them on fire, nothing touching the metal. And it doesn't even get that hot.
Sorry that stuff happened to you guys. I'll keep it in mind.
But I do plan to keep using my lamp. I've actually got a new batch coming in a few weeks. :cool:
Good luck with your new batch of babies! Be safe ❤️

This was exactly my set up but a metal trough… I read about heat lamps being dangerous but told myself I’ll just keep an eye on it, Ittl be fine, it won’t happen to me… and it did! I was the same way, oh that plate is more expensive I’ll just get the lamp. But now, my view is completely changed and it’s 100% worth the extra $40 or so $$ to me. I could have lost my whole house! I’m not bashing on those who decide to use them, just sharing my experience and spreading awareness to those who don’t know. I’m glad this set up has been working for you, just please be careful ❤️ I have attached the best photos I have of my setup.
Oh yes I completely understand. Past the three week mark I only plug it up while I am home. I wonder if it helps that I have the reptile light. I have the kind you have also. The reptile lamp doesnt get as hot. Also produces NO light. Lucky you came home when you did. That is kind of like the time my grandma pulled up just in time to see a hawk kill one of my chickens. They may have all been gone if she didnt scare the hawk off.

Back
Top Bottom