Heat Lamp for Brooder

Team01

Chirping
Mar 8, 2023
Question about heat lamp. Can we use a ceramic heat lamp for the brooder. Also what is the difference of using a red heat lamp to a clear lamp or ceramic lamp. What would be the best to use

The chicks will benefit from the light of an actual lamp to locate the heat source up until the first week or so. After that you can usually get away with swapping. Personally I use a red light with a ceramic heat emitter for the first 3 weeks then turn off the red light and just use the ceramic (its on a dimmer and automatically holds the temp i set).

Red light is less disruptive to the brain and doesnt inhibit the development of sleepytime serotonin like blue light which is contained very prominently in "clear" lamps. This is why it is frequently recommended. Ultimately light is light but the birds self regulate very quickly as long as you have other lights in the room so they still have a darker time period.

People who use overhead plates or ceramic heat emitters often report mortality that can be traced to hypothermia but overall also report that the birds are usually less flighty and more bonded to each other because they sleep together and cuddling produces oxytocin in pretty much all warm blooded creatures.

I use the ceramic heat emitters. I like them because they emit the heat so the chicks can have a natural day/night cycle. If you use heat bulbs, the red light will interfere less with the day/night cycle than white light will.

I've used both ceramic and indecesent lamp bulbs and in red and normal household lighting.
Red light has a calming effect where as white light tends to make them skiddish.

I use the ceramic with a dimmer switch to adjust the heat. Gives them (and me) a clear cut day and night. Also with Coturnix, at a room temp of ~70°F they’re weaned off that extra heat at 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom