Heat lamp in coop?

I bought a shop light from Home Depot and put one of those curly no heat bulbs. Energy saving whatever they call them. I do have it on a timer. The kind you would use for Christmas lights. I fed the cord back through a ventilation gap and it hangs upside down in the coop. The cord is tied to the wire outside so that it cannot fall down to the floor. My husband moved our coop right up by the back door so it is all plugged in to an out door GFI plug. It comes on at 3 am and shuts off at 5 pm. I run it all day because there are many days that the sun really does not do a whole lot here. I am getting 3 to 5 eggs a day from 5 6 month old BOs. Here is a picture of the coop. The vent is along the roof line under the eaves front and back.

91661_coop.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recommend heat lamps for chicken coops unless they're for chicks. Most chickens are hardy enough to withstand the coldest of temperatures. Chicken temperatures generally run hotter than ours. I'd be more worried about high summer heat than winter temperatures.

Laseterlass, thank you. I just need it for added light as my production is 4 eggs per day out of 38 hens, not good!!!
Our coop is well insulated and am not worried about cold, it's actually pretty warm in there.
Ayda

Back
Top Bottom