Heat lamp keeping chickens awake 24/7 what should I use instead? Emmiter bulb or flat panel heater?

AshleyBickle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
Traverse City, MI
I live in northern michigan. I started seeing the affects of the cold 30- temps my chickens were having. So I added a red heat lamp for them to be under incase they needed to warm up. It seemed to make them more happy and more active but it kept them awake 24/7. One of my chickens is very vocal and I could hear her at all hours of the night. So I turned the lamp off. Things are back to normal but I have small bantam hens also and I just want to keep their coop just above freezing. Was thinking of getting either a heat emmiter bulb used for reptiles or using a flat pannel heater I can mount on the coop wall. Any suggestions?

I live in northern michigan. I started seeing the affects of the cold 30- temps my chickens were having. So I added a red heat lamp for them to be under incase they needed to warm up. It seemed to make them more happy and more active but it kept them awake 24/7. One of my chickens is very vocal and I could hear her at all hours of the night. So I turned the lamp off. Things are back to normal but I have small bantam hens also and I just want to keep their coop just above freezing. Was thinking of getting either a heat emmiter bulb used for reptiles or using a flat pannel heater I can mount on the coop wall. Any suggestions?
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=35+-45+thermostate+cube

I would try one of these things. I haven't tried these but I have heard that they work cutting on at 35 degrees and cutting off at 45 degrees!!! Sounds pretty awesome!!!! Hope that this helps!!!

I use a fixture like this, without the wire guards:

Use a pot a few inches smaller so the fixture can sit over it like a lid.
If there is any light showing, cover it with aluminum foil

I use a fixture like this, without the wire guards:

Use a pot a few inches smaller so the fixture can sit over it like a lid.
If there is any light showing, cover it with aluminum foil

I have a fixture like this I used when I tried using the red heat lamp so that would work perfect. How does the 100 watt bulb inside the clay pot generate heat though, and where do u have your at, just set on the floor?

Quote: It generates the same amount of heat in or out of a pot.
The pot will absorb some at first, but once it warms up it radiates the heat just like anything else would.
You can set it on the floor or on a shelf above the floor which will keep it cleaner and less likely to get knocked over

The truth is, though, chickens really don't need extra heat as long as they are out of the wind.
I use it to keep water from freezing

Back
Top Bottom