Heat lamp needed this time of year???

lazyoranch

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pleasant Hill
Hi! This is my first post!! I have been lurking for a little while now though. I just received some new chicks today. It is 94 degrees here in Louisiana. The chicks seemed fine without the heat lamp. I am thinking about just turning the lamp on at night when the temperature drops down to below 90 degrees. What do ya'll do in the summer heat with baby chicks? Thanks!

I had a 100 watt bulb on mine and they were still too hot. So my heat lamp is staying off even at night. I just put a 40 watt over them so they can see and run around stil. I know when I had the heat lamp on I lost all my 5 of my chciks. and I ahvent lost anymore since I shut the lamp off.

Thanks for bringing this up because in the past I have always had a lamp on my chicks 24/7 but it is soo hot here and the chicks seemed too hot so I have been turning mine off in the mornings too and then at nite when I check if they are huddled it goes back on.

I was hoping this was ok do to as I had always left one running all the time. I have caught mine panting from the heat so I do think they were getting too hot!

Renee

I live in Va. and it's hot as an oven here..today 96. I turn my heat lamp off during the day and on at night.And they will still sometimes sleep on the other side of the brooder, which is about 7 feet long and 2 feet wide...

They need to be at 95 degrees but if it is that hot already there is no need for more heat adding to the heat they have. I would have it on in a corner in case they are cold and leave it off during the hot days. I would also put ice in their waterer.
Caroline

Mine were panting yesterday so we turned it off, and then we turned it off today at about noon when it hit 90 degrees. They seem fine and I will turn it back on in a bit for nighttime. I was freaked out to do it, but they were so hot and it's also over 90 here in GA. Is ice okay for even little bitty chicks? Mine are five days old.

At this time of year in the South the lamp is mostly only needed at night unless you get a big storm or something that cools things off. If you're brooding inside the house where there might be air conditioning then they'll need the extra heat.

I'll be moving the first of the lot that it hatching in my incubator to the brooder tonight. I've got a pair of sixty watt bulbs in the hover which I think will be all they'll need until the temps top 90 during the day when I'll turn them off until it grows dark again.

I'm glad you posted it because I just asked this question since I was in a great debate about keeping the chicks inside/outside. Since it is so hot I will keep them in the pole barn during the day and keep the lamp in the corner at night. If I keep them inside the lamp will have to be on them 24/7!
hmm.png

I am using a 60W black light for my baby chicks (one week olds) at night time. It is plenty hot in the day without adding more heat but at night the temps gets a little cool. My 3, 4 and 7 week old chicks don't have a heating lamp going at night time. They don't go near it even if I left one on for them at night.

Had a four hour power outage this afternoon the day after I put a newly hatched batch of chicks into the brooder. Fortunately the outside air temperature was 94 degrees so they never even noticed other than it was dark under the hover. I've got a pair of 60 watt bulbs in there and it seemed to keep them warm enough all night last night. Put more chicks in today and they seem equally as happy.

It's been so hot and humid these last two weeks that I could simply put the eggs on the back porch from about 10 in the morning until about seven or eight at night and they'd incubate all by themselves. Just turn them once in a while when I go by.

Back
Top Bottom