Heat lamp on all night?

SaltLife4Life

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
I'm new at this...
I just got five beautiful barred rock chicks today and I'm curious as to whether I should leave their heat lamp on all night? Will they get too warm if I do?

It's okay to keep your heat lamp on all night as you need to keep the brooder at a certain temp. Red light is best, IMO. Make sure they have enough room in the brooder to get away from the circle of light if they need to and they will self regulate..

X2. They will get too cold if you don't leave it on, small chicks always need to be able to get under the light and warm up. Unless your brooder is very small and they have no room to get out of the heat. As long as your light is high enough to maintain the right temps and not get the brooder to hot and as long as they can move away when they want to, they'll be fine.

I leave my heat lamps on 24/7 for about 2 weeks... or until feathered then i shut them off... However i keep my babies in my house so they don't ever get cold but if you have them in a barn i would reccomend leaving it on for much longer. Then you would want them to have some size to them

Great advice guys!! Thanks! I still have my chicks under heat and it's been about 2 weeks. We've had a little cold snap the last couple days so I'll probably still keep them in until that's over.

Back
Top Bottom