Heat Lamp or Not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Daisy9696, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Daisy9696

Daisy9696 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    I had chickens a few years ago, but I had them in the sping and summer. Now I am looking at getting fowl, and chickens. I live in Minnesota. Do I need a heat lamp for my fowl and chickens this winter or not? I have heard both. I've heard that if you heat the coop they never develop certain feathers. Thanks. Happy Holidays!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you have a ventilated draft free insulated coop, I don't think that adding heat except to keep the water from freezing is necessary. I think it comes down to how well you tolerate the cold and how much empathy you have towards the chickens. Me I keep my barn unheated and my house is set a 62, I tolerate cold well. Well I understand parts of Alaska has recently had a string of days that it didn't go about -10 and some of them decided to add heat. I believe facing that I would heat too.

3. Daisy9696

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    My coop has thre windows that have chicken wire blocking them. Should I put plywood over the windows?

4. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How much ventilation will you have when they are blocked? You want the worse of the weather to stay out so the coop stays dry. Having the ability to close them in bad weather would be good.

5. Daisy9696

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    The door has a small window on it so if I just put chicken wire on that would I be ok?

6. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Could be, Much depends on how much the air leaks in through the rest of the coop. If you have a moisture build up on the walls, if the chickens start to act lethargic, if there is an ammonia smell you need more. When in doubt more ventilation is always better.

7. Daisy9696

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    Thanks!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Your temps are probably similar to ours. Cover large openings with plastic to allow light in yet block drafts. I have glass windows, and leave the one on the south side of the coop cracked at the top all winter. If you see condensation inside the coop, you need to increase the ventilation.

I never use supplemental heat, with the exception of a heated waterer - a true blessing in cold climates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by