Heat lamp questions with baby chicks

ChickieB

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2021
Hello,

I have a few questions about baby chicks being raised under a heat lamp. They are 2 weeks old.

1. Temp is at 90 degrees, they are huddling sleeping with heads down (some) is this normal?

2. If they are too hot will they spread out?

Any other advice?

90 degrees should be ok for 2 week old chicks. If they're too hot they will cling to the edges of the brooder, as far from the heat source as possible. Sleeping flat/with heads down is pretty normal for a young age, at least for me, and usually I think of it as them just being clueless, exhausted babies who sleep however feels comfortable. They look dead sometimes when they sleep weirdly, but if you're really concerned just give 'em a poke :lol:

90 degrees should be ok for 2 week old chicks. If they're too hot they will cling to the edges of the brooder, as far from the heat source as possible. Sleeping flat/with heads down is pretty normal for a young age, at least for me, and usually I think of it as them just being clueless, exhausted babies who sleep however feels comfortable. They look dead sometimes when they sleep weirdly, but if you're really concerned just give 'em a poke :lol:
Thank you for getting back to me. Okay great I was a little worried. But this helps alot knowing what they are doing is normal and the heat is okay.
They seem happy and content but when I seen them sleep with their heads down it concerned me.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

Hello,

1. Temp is at 90 degrees, they are huddling sleeping with heads down (some) is this normal?
The way they sprawl out and flop down when sleeping you're sure they are dead. Most first-timers experience that fear, it just doesn't look right. But it is. When they go to sleep they can really relax.

2. If they are too hot will they spread out?
To me the ideal brooder is one that has one spot warm enough in the coldest conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. If you are brooding in a climate controlled area like your house that's not too hard to manage. I brood outside where I can see a huge temperature swing in a fairly short time, it's more of a challenge. But as long as they have that choice my chicks straight out of the incubator are pretty good at finding a comfortable spot.

I don't know how many chicks you have, how big that brooder is, or how you have it set up. Too much heat is as dangerous as too little. Broody hens can and do raise chicks in 90 degree temperatures, but I do suggest they have a cooler spot. When you have a group of people in a room some will be too warm, some will be cool, and some will be just right. You can never make everyone happy. Chicks are a like that too. They won't die if the temperature isn't exactly where they prefer but they will be more comfortable if they can find an area to their liking.

Your chicks will tell you how they are doing. If they are hot they will get as far from the heat source as they can get, usually lined up at the wall and panting. If they are cold they are as close to the heat source as they can get. If they are cold enough to be in distress they will probably be giving a plaintive peep. That is a slow peep that is so sad you know something is wrong. If they are doing OK you will find them more spread out, maybe playing in the cooler section and going back to warmth if they need it.

When they sleep it is usually in a group and often in the warmer area. Them sleeping in a group doesn't mean they are cold, they get lonely.

Since yours are two weeks old you are doing OK.

Any other advice?

I don't know how you have that heat lamp supported. I strongly suggest you do not use that clamp that comes with it but use wire or chain to firmly fix it in place so it cannot fall. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt. Use wire or chain. With any electrical heating device there is a risk of fire. If you can make sure there is no way that lamp can fall you greatly reduce the risk of fire.

In addition to RidgeRunner’s advice, I would suggest getting a heat plate of sorts if the chicks being too hot or if your house burning down is a concern. I switched to one after my first year of having chickens, and I love it. They have the constant choice to go under if they’re cold and can always come out if they overheat. It simulates a broody mother and can help them feather out faster. Plus, I’ve had mine on for weeks and it never gets too hot for them, or for my house to burn down.

That would be my little scrap of advice, since I’ve used heat lamps and this heat plate, and much prefer the plate.

Good luck with your babies!

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

The way they sprawl out and flop down when sleeping you're sure they are dead. Most first-timers experience that fear, it just doesn't look right. But it is. When they go to sleep they can really relax.

To me the ideal brooder is one that has one spot warm enough in the coldest conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. If you are brooding in a climate controlled area like your house that's not too hard to manage. I brood outside where I can see a huge temperature swing in a fairly short time, it's more of a challenge. But as long as they have that choice my chicks straight out of the incubator are pretty good at finding a comfortable spot.

I don't know how many chicks you have, how big that brooder is, or how you have it set up. Too much heat is as dangerous as too little. Broody hens can and do raise chicks in 90 degree temperatures, but I do suggest they have a cooler spot. When you have a group of people in a room some will be too warm, some will be cool, and some will be just right. You can never make everyone happy. Chicks are a like that too. They won't die if the temperature isn't exactly where they prefer but they will be more comfortable if they can find an area to their liking.

Your chicks will tell you how they are doing. If they are hot they will get as far from the heat source as they can get, usually lined up at the wall and panting. If they are cold they are as close to the heat source as they can get. If they are cold enough to be in distress they will probably be giving a plaintive peep. That is a slow peep that is so sad you know something is wrong. If they are doing OK you will find them more spread out, maybe playing in the cooler section and going back to warmth if they need it.

When they sleep it is usually in a group and often in the warmer area. Them sleeping in a group doesn't mean they are cold, they get lonely.

Since yours are two weeks old you are doing OK.

I don't know how you have that heat lamp supported. I strongly suggest you do not use that clamp that comes with it but use wire or chain to firmly fix it in place so it cannot fall. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt. Use wire or chain. With any electrical heating device there is a risk of fire. If you can make sure there is no way that lamp can fall you greatly reduce the risk of fire.
So one of my chicks been panting, I take her out and hold her, then she’s fine. I’m not sure if it’s from her being hot. I just moved the heat lamp to the corner of the bin.

So one of my chicks been panting, I take her out and hold her, then she’s fine. I’m not sure if it’s from her being hot. I just moved the heat lamp to the corner of the bin.
Hopefully that is it. I think moving it to the corner is a great idea, as long as the bin is big enough that the far corner actually cools down.

Back
Top Bottom