heat lamp questions

AmyTx101

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 11, 2012
I have 23 baby chicks that are 2 weeks old today at what point can i turn the heat lamp off.. with the heat lamp on they still sleep all piled on top of each other and i have been experimenting and moving the lamp up higher.. i have a few who still like to be under it.. but the majority just lay all over the place and huddled next to each other.. i have a red 75 watt heat lamp on them now.. at what age can i turn it off..forgot to add my 6 weeker is still indoors as well as the 23 2 weekers too.. my air vent is shut off in the room at night and during the day i open it.. they have a whole room to themselves..

Last edited:
as you can see i started off with 3 who are now 5 months old.. i have a 6 weeker and i originally bought 14.. went back and rescued 4 more because they had pasty butts and i cleaned them all up... and went back again next day and got 5 more pasty butters.. they are all great and no more pasty butts.. but boy how there growing sooo fast..they all love to play and i have a few who will run up to each other stretch their necks out and chest bump the others.. its fun but i think well i actually know i have some roos in there too

Last edited:
Best way to figure out when they can go without the heat lamp would be to start at 90-95 degrees and subtact 5-7 degrees per week old till you get to the ambient temperature.That many they can create alot of heat on their own if there are no drafts. If they start staying away from the light earlier than that great. Some times a heatlamp at night is necessary and can be cut off in the day.

What is the temp in your house? At two weeks they need ACCESS to a warm spot, but if they were raised by a momma hen they would be spending most of the day out from under her at whatever the ambient temp is. 23 chicks is a lot, is your brooder large enough to be sure they can get out from under the heat? At this age, with the temps in most of the country, I'd be more worried about overheating them. Personally, I think overheating is the reason so many chicks get pasty butt.

At 4 weeks old they can go without a heat lamp because they have their adult feathers. Now it would be best to keep them at a temperature around 85 degrees. If it is consistently this temperature in your area, you may be able to go without it.

Back
Top Bottom