Heat Lamp started fire! Warning!! Learn from my mistake!

Quote:
Sorry christine. Consider a well insulated coop that you do not have to heat when you rebuild. I know you are colder than me but at 13 below, my Red Stars were fine with no heat. I do have the ability to use a heat lamp, however. I do not rely on the clamp-on type of socket/reflector. I permanently mounted a metal lamp holder similar to the ones you see for the motion detector outdoor lights sans motion sensor. It is mounted to a steel electrical box and the lamp can be pointed any direction it is solid and the metal can take the heat well. You have the opportunity to design your new coop to minimize risks. Good luck. David

I am so sorry to hear of your heartache and close call! We use carabiners to hook our heatlamps up. Most of ours are suspended from the rafters with chain or rope. I do have one clamped on to a 2x4 but we wrapped the cord around the wood to catch it... now that I think of it that isn't the best idea. Think I'll go change it this afternoon... Bless you as you try to rebuild and let us all know if we can help in any way!!
hugs.gif

Thank you! My husband just called and said his friend, who is a carpenter, offered to come out to our house this week and rebuild the coop. His dad raises chickens too and he said he has 7 I can have to replace the ones I lost!
ya.gif
Chicken people are good people!

How sad, I'm so sorry. How great it is that you have people around to help out. Good luck with the new coop and flock. Thanks for sharing your loss and reminding us all to be more careful. Chicken people rock!

I am sorry for your loss. As you have found out, the people here are special and will extend any amount of help and heart to all of those with a love of chickens, and animals in general. Within two days of receiving my new chicks, I had an emergency when one of my new chicks went under a waterer as I sat it in the coup. I didn't see her and she was there all day under a gallon of water.(See smashed chicken) She was smashed nearly flat. I got online with BYC while my daughter did mouth to mouth (sort of) and everyone jumped in to help and guide. One of my 'angels' has become a dear friend that I will cherish forever. You're in the right place, when you're here! And, Smashy lives!

Back
Top Bottom