heat lamps...when to stop using them.

chzheadgrl

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 10, 2010
I am sure this question has been asked many times, so I apologize for repeating it. When can my rooster stop using the heat lamp? It looks like he's completely feathered and he can "jump/fly" out of his enclosed area when the top is off. My concern is that we've had some cold and rainy days and nights lately (in the 50's). I don't want him to be cold, but I also don't want him to be too hot! We are almost done making his house and pen so can I at least leave him out during the daytime?

Last edited:
we shut off ours when they feathered out. but we had a bunch so they huddled together if they got chilly if you only have one maybe keep it on a bit longer

I find it best to keep the heat lamp on one end of the brooder container so the chicks can decide for themselves when/if they need the extra heat. I turn it off completely when I notice that they seldom stay at the heated end of the brooder. During the day chicks like to move in & out of the warmth, getting toasty and then venturing out to explore, over & over again. They do this with a Mama hen too, she's like a portable brooder for them. Tonight take a look to see where your cockerel settles down to sleep. If it's not anywhere near the light, then you can turn it off.

And
welcome-byc.gif

I was just wondering the same thing. I can't remember how old my chicks are, but they've been totally feathered out for weeks now, so it seems like, with the weather getting a lot warmer here in Seattle, it might be getting close to time to shutting it off.

I've been moving the heat lamp about 5 inches higher each Sunday, so that they're slowly getting weaned off of it. Just waiting for the chance to put them outside in their coop so I can clean out the garage where they've been staying. Incredible how much "chicken dust" five little ones produce!

Back
Top Bottom