Heat lamps

Steve P

Chirping
Feb 23, 2015
Breckenridge MI
My chicks will be 5 weeks old tomorrow and was wondering around what temp can I stop keeping the heat lamp on. They are already in their big coop and the temps at night have been in the high 50 to low 60.

They should be fully feathered even on the heads before you turn the light out for good, usually about 6 weeks of age.

I start allowing my chicks to come and go from the light to a very small outside area around 3 weeks of age (making sure they are protected with netting overhead as well) when I have the ability to with my coop setups.

So if you have a small covered run there for them they can start leaving via the pop door as long as they can easily find their way back to the heat when needed. But do make sure they are completely protected from predators. And check to make sure they all went in for the night if you have an auto door.

Enjoy your chicks!

They have been going out to the run for about the last week. I was opening the door and they were going out but not off the ramp. Then one day they discovered the bugs and all decided to leave the ramp and venture around the run. The run is covered and is 8x16. I was wondering about the heat lamp because I have been working midnights the last week and when I have been checking on them in the morning I noticed they are all sleeping under the poop board. The light cannot be raised anymore and was hoping it's not getting to hot in there for them. The light is now 6 foot off the ground.

They have been going out to the run for about the last week. I was opening the door and they were going out but not off the ramp. Then one day they discovered the bugs and all decided to leave the ramp and venture around the run. The run is covered and is 8x16. I was wondering about the heat lamp because I have been working midnights the last week and when I have been checking on them in the morning I noticed they are all sleeping under the poop board. The light cannot be raised anymore and was hoping it's not getting to hot in there for them. The light is now 6 foot off the ground.
Use your judgement- only you know best for your situation!

90-95 degrees the first week of life, and then decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered- if your coop temps are not dropping below that on the inside that would be fine. So five week olds would need access to 70 degrees.

It also makes a difference if there are enough of them to huddle together, or if there are just two chicks, at that age where they have most of their feathers. Some breeds feather in very quickly and others not so much. It really is a judgement call.

It is always good to get rid of the light when not needed, because of fire risk as well. If your coop is pretty well insulated they may be just fine out there if mostly feathered in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom