Heat Lights-Help!

Leah and peeps

Songster
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Hey,
smile.png
im getting 5 sex-links chicks 0n the 29. (my first) and i just got a heat light for them with a red bulb. It is a 175Watt Infrared Heat Lamp by "Interheat" and i didnt know if that would be to strong of a light (in hotness) for them? if it is, what could i use instead? And also can i use Aspen Shavings for their litter? Thanks in advance!

I used 175 watt red light for my baby chick i just put it up higher and bought a piece of wood and made a divider so that way one part was red lit and other wasnt that hot... are u putting them in the brooder.. like a cage? for the first few weeks? because if so use paper towel on the bottom because its soft on there little feet and that way they dont try and eat the wood shavings because their are babies then and wont no any better..

If you hang the light at one end of the brooder just low enough for it to seem about the right temperature, chicks can still walk to the other end of the brooder away from the lamp if it feels too hot sometimes for them.

I've used a 250w infrared heat lamp every time I've raised chicks in a brooder - while it's only been five times, it's enough to know that the thing works.
big_smile.png
And I didn't cook any chicks.

I just have it set up so I can raise it or lower it as necessary. The reflector has a metal hanger over the ceramic bulb holder end, which I tied to a cord, stringing that over an expandable tension rod (like those used for shower curtains).

The important thing to know about infrared heat lamps is that it does NOT warm the AIR, like regular, incandescent lights. It warms the chicks, and whatever surface(s) the light reaches. So do be careful with it in that regard. Watch the chicks for their behavior!

i started with the red 250w warmer light but switched to a standard 100w bulb and it is a whole lot better, and cheaper to run.
smile.png

Im just worried that ill over heat them... because there is only 5 of them and all...
hmm.png
does anyone think i should switch it? if so, for what type of bulb?

Back
Top Bottom