heat problem

Lately my chicken have been dropping like flies from getting to cold. Is there any thing I can do to heat my coop and block the harsh wind better?
How cold are you talking about? What breeds are dying?
I think your blaming the temperature drop on chicken deaths is misguided.
Chickens don't drop dead from cold, but they will from excessive heat.
People in Alaska, all over Canada, Minnesota, Siberia and every other cold place you can imagine keep chickens and they don't drop dead from cold.

I will lay odds they are dropping dead because in trying to keep them warm, you have deprived them of adequate fresh air exchange and the oxygen they need.
I bet if you send your most recently deceased to this poultry lab you'll find the true cause of death and I'll also wager it is from one of the effects of inadequate ventilation.
New Mexico Department of Agriculture Veterinary Diagnostic Services Veterinary Diagnostic Services 1101 Camino de Salud NE Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102-4519 Phone: 505-383-9299

Last edited:
how cold? chickens can handle quite low temperatures as long as they are acclimitised slowly and fully feathered. but it is important for their air inside the coop to be dry.

more info would be useful.

temperature gets down to about 10 degrees with harsh rain and snow. All of my birds are two years or younger and I’ve had all of them as chicks. I’m giving them dumar chicken feed and right now electro light water. We have a 10/20/8 sized coop, however they are free to roam wherever. I clean out their nesting boxes once every first Sunday of the month which is today. Lately we’ve had a huge mite problem, but we got some non chemical spray to get rid of them.
image.jpg

this was my coop last summer. (The turkey in the photo is alive.)

Back
Top Bottom