Heat sink question

You may gain from a large heat sink but likely more so due to the cubic area it was taking up rather than the transfer of heat.
I feel a way to cut back on electricity usage is to not build a incubator as big as a room to hatch a few dozen eggs! Think/look at this pic---a 10ft cube room with 4 dozen eggs sitting on a table in the middle of the room. Can you see that picture?? Alot of electricity!! LOL

I feel a way to cut back on electricity usage is to not build a incubator as big as a room to hatch a few dozen eggs! Think/look at this pic---a 10ft cube room with 4 dozen eggs sitting on a table in the middle of the room. Can you see that picture?? Alot of electricity!! LOL

Mine holds 320 eggs if you were to load both sides. I load 1 side and use the other side for the hatcher but agree the incubator should fit your operation.

Mine holds 320 eggs if you were to load both sides. I load 1 side and use the other side for the hatcher but agree the incubator should fit your operation.
Yea I got 51 eggs in the one you see on the left in my pic----it holds 288----I feel that's a waste---LOL, but I did not have anymore to put in it at the time and others I hatch for did not have any for me to hatch------I usually add some each week------so if I don't get any added in the next couple weeks all the electricity it takes goes to these few. But they are "special" to me so it will be worth it.

Yea I got 51 eggs in the one you see on the left in my pic----it holds 288----I feel that's a waste---LOL, but I did not have anymore to put in it at the time and others I hatch for did not have any for me to hatch------I usually add some each week------so if I don't get any added in the next couple weeks all the electricity it takes goes to these few. But they are "special" to me so it will be worth it.

Sometimes it's hard to find enough eggs to fill a large incubator. Most of the time I try to have at least 80 in 1 side but I have hatched as few as a dozen when it was necessary. The only thing is it actually costs me more to hatch a dozen than it does to hatch 160 since there is less room filled. I've taken to filling bottles to take up space when only doing a few eggs.

separate the heat source from the eggs.
This was a concern, as the fan/heat source is only about 11" away from eggs..Think im going back to the drawing board and rethink my set up.
As far as wanting to use the 20"x20" 1/2 thick heat sink, my thoughts were that steel with that much mass retains allot of heat over a longer period of time.Power usage was not a concern. My thinking was that when the heat cycles off, the plate would constantly radiate heat, slowing down the ambient temp drop over a longer period of time. yes the heat may stay on longer when it does come back on, but the plate would/should keeping the temps from dropping to fast..It may not make enough difference one way or the other to give a better hatch rate, but it does satisfy the mind of a tinkerer.lol.

Back
Top Bottom