heat sources for winter

Here in central NC where 'cold, cold' is anything below freezing.  'Really, Really Cold' is below 20F.  It rarely gets that cold here.  So during the winter when it's below freezing I do this and it works for us.  It may not work up North or out West where it gets 'Really, Really Cold' all winter long but it works here.  What I do is to take the Gals plastic 5-gallon waterer after they've gone into their coop for the night and I fill it with very hot water all the way up.  This means boiling water and hot tap water (about 2 gallons of boiling water, 3 gallons of hot tap water).  I've never tested it for temp.  Then I place the waterer in the middle of their coop which is a 4X8X4 structure inside their run and close it up for the night.  There's good ventilation up high but no drafts so humidity doesn't seem to be a problem.  The next morning I sit it back out on the concrete blocks in the run when I open the pop door to the coop. It's still pretty warm to the touch at 6AM.  I have a remote thermometer in the coop that I can read back in the house and the temp in the coop always stays above 40F in the morning before I open things up.

It's too far from the house to run a cord out to the coop and put in a heat lamp or anything like that.  I do have a solar powered light inside the coop that works well and stays on at least two or three hours after dark.  This way I can close everything up when I go out to lock them up at dark and they can move around for a bit.  Its also supposed to help with egg laying but I've not seen that yet.

wow thanks for tha. the problem is that my bantams go a bit crazy when
they see water, and also air can come into my garage. I'm thinking of a
way to block it off.

Greetings from Kansas, kukree, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us. Can't advise as I don't ad heat and don't have bantams. But I wanted to say welcome aboard and best of luck!

the heat light the way to go for you then try playing with how high you hang it the closer you have it to he ground the hotter it will get ahd thay will move out and away from iti it gets to hot it`s like a broder that you use on chicks ya know take a box put a light at one e and thay go from one place to the other as thay need it have seen some heaters at run on gas that do it but you would be talking some big money thats what the big guy`s use but we are just bak yard chicken lovers right with small pockits you can buy one of them 250 to 0 watt red light online get a drop light at any dept. store and you got it fo around 20 dollars bulb 8 to9 dollars drop light for 10 thr you go and if y want add a timer from any lumber store to turn it off and on ond you don`t ha to think about it

the heat light the way to go for you then try playing with how high you hang it the closer you have it to he ground the hotter it will get ahd thay will move out and away from iti it gets to hot it`s like a broder that you use on chicks ya know take a box put a light at one e and thay go from one place to the other as thay need it have seen some heaters at run on gas that do it but you would be talking some big money thats what the big guy`s use but we are just bak yard chicken lovers right with small pockits you can buy one of  them 250 to 0 watt red light  online get a drop light at any dept. store and you got it fo around 20 dollars bulb 8 to9 dollars drop light for 10 thr you go and if y want add a timer from any lumber store to turn it off and on ond you don`t ha to think about it

Thanks a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom