Heat stress (help please!)

J K

Chirping
Jul 3, 2019
Hello..
My hen was suffering from heat stress. She was panting a lot at the morning so I put her in a cool bath water. After few minutes she calmed down so I took her and put her infront of a fan. I tried to give her electrolytes (Made it at home cause i don't have it. I mixed sugar, salt, baking soda and water.) She drank a bit and then slept. She is still sleeping until now. But from time to time she is opening her eyes slowly and moving a little bit. This is normal or no? It would take time to get better? And should I do anything else for her?
(Sorry if my english is not good enough )

It will take some time. Continue drip feeding her first some electrolytes then some fresh, plain water several times per hour for a few hours or until she perks up. You could also try offering melon or cucumber which have high water content. Make sure to have a dish of clean, cool water in with her.

How's she doing now? I'm sorry that happened! Do you have some kind of plan to make sure she can stay cool once she's well? :hugs:fl

Thank you! :love
She is 1 year and 9 months.
She's Pekin Bantam Chicken.

She is still sleeping (she slept the whole day and now it's 11:46 P.M.) I'm checking on her every half an hour and trying to wake her up to let her drink. But she's not eating. I'm very concerned about the state of her health! :( How long does it take so she will get better?
And can you help me please how I can let the chickens stay cool in summer?

Thank you! :love
She is 1 year and 9 months.
She's Pekin Bantam Chicken.

She is still sleeping (she slept the whole day and now it's 11:46 P.M.) I'm checking on her every half an hour and trying to wake her up to let her drink. But she's not eating. I'm very concerned about the state of her health! :( How long does it take so she will get better?
And can you help me please how I can let the chickens stay cool in summer?

Is she drinking when you wake her? If she's dehydrated her appetite will be shot until she's feeling a bit better. You could try offering her some scrambled egg chopped up small or yogurt to entice her to eat. At this point she's probably just sleeping because her internal clock is telling her to! If she's still lethargic come morning that would be more alarming.

Can you take a picture of your set up? I can make some easy and inexpensive recommendation if I can get an idea of your layout!

Hang in there! :hugs

If you have electric at the chickens coop/run you can run a fan and hang frozen water bottles on the back of the fan blade cage. It will blow cooler then normal air. Also fine misters can be hooked up to a hose. Also could try a cold/cool water dish in their enclosure large enough for them to stand in but not so large they could drown.

If you have electric at the chickens coop/run you can run a fan and hang frozen water bottles on the back of the fan blade cage. It will blow cooler then normal air. Also fine misters can be hooked up to a hose. Also could try a cold/cool water dish in their enclosure large enough for them to stand in but not so large they could drown.

All great ideas!

You can get large pieces of cardboard from most stores for free and make lean to shaded areas, too! Freeze water in casserole dishes and lay the ice blocks on a tarp for them to splash through. Frozen water bottles nestled in piles of shavings or hay also work! Just make shade of you don't have it and frozen anything makes good treats! Some people freeze fruit in ice cubes.

Is she drinking when you wake her? If she's dehydrated her appetite will be shot until she's feeling a bit better. You could try offering her some scrambled egg chopped up small or yogurt to entice her to eat. At this point she's probably just sleeping because her internal clock is telling her to! If she's still lethargic come morning that would be more alarming.

Can you take a picture of your set up? I can make some easy and inexpensive recommendation if I can get an idea of your layout!

Hang in there! :hugs

Yes she is drinking. I'll try tomorrow morning to feed her.

Last edited:

Oh thank you!

Should I leave the fan all day and night?

All great ideas!

You can get large pieces of cardboard from most stores for free and make lean to shaded areas, too! Freeze water in casserole dishes and lay the ice blocks on a tarp for them to splash through. Frozen water bottles nestled in piles of shavings or hay also work! Just make shade of you don't have it and frozen anything makes good treats! Some people freeze fruit in ice cubes.

Thank you for the ideas I'll try my best.

Back
Top Bottom