Heat stress maybe?

Valgal25

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2020
Some of my gals had (I think) diarrhea today. I can’t quite seem to figure out what’s up. Some of the girls appeared to be panting, & I changed everything to cold water which they seemed to appreciate it. About 1/2 of their run is shaded & there is lots of sand (which was a cooler 68F). It was only 85F today but 87%-90% humidity, no breeze & some of them are starting to lay so I thought maybe the coop isn’t well enough ventilated. I propped the top open more. (About 2+ in on all sides) (Am cutting another hole in the sides for extra ventilation tomorrow.) Noticed those trying to lay seemed to be panting more & had diarrhea so I’m thinking maybe they are possibly heat stressed & not replacing electrolytes? How do I do that w/a flock of 10? Put some Gatorade ice cubes in their water? Dilute it? Their feed is all new & no signs of mold in anything they ate recently including scraps. Run is clean (just changed the litter) & I carefully cleaned out all their watering & feeding containers Sunday. All I can think is it’s the oppressive heat/humidity combo today.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• AC7C89FF-7771-4F50-B198-D3A3E33C4FC9.jpeg
    AC7C89FF-7771-4F50-B198-D3A3E33C4FC9.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 7
Are they showing any other abnormal signs or behavior such as not eating, lethargy, dropping head, etc?
What scraps did you feed them exactly?

That kinda looks like a cecal poop but it also looks too frothy

Are they showing any other abnormal signs or behavior such as not eating, lethargy, dropping head, etc?
What scraps did you feed them exactly?

That kinda looks like a cecal poop but it also looks too frothy
Scratching corn & dandelion leaves. Nothing they haven’t had before. There’s nothing toxic growing in or around their own so I don’t think it’s something they ate?

I thought cecal poo at first 2, but that was the 3rd or 4th loose movement from the same hen in about an hour.

Hmm. Not sure other than stress from the heat and as was previously posted, try some chicken electrolytes and see if that helps. What other signs is this single hen showing, if any? Just keep and eye on them. Good luck.

Scratching corn & dandelion leaves. Nothing they haven’t had before. There’s nothing toxic growing in or around their own so I don’t think it’s something they ate?

I thought cecal poo at first 2, but that was the 3rd or 4th loose movement from the same hen in about an hour.
As to other signs, they don’t seem lethargic. Ate normally. Drank a little less, which I found a bit odd. Still curious as ever, & interested w/everything I do. No droopiness. Noticed 1 laid an egg under the coop instead of in. Think it was either a new hen laying egg or it was cooler there? Nothing else.

Hmm. Not sure other than stress from the heat and as was previously posted, try some chicken electrolytes and see if that helps. What other signs is this single hen showing, if any? Just keep and eye on them. Good luck.
Same hen was panting heavily. Checked vent and feathers around it. Looked normal & actually pretty clean. Was in & out of coop more than normal, seemed to be trying to lay maybe? Other than that, nothing else. All I can think is heat stress, but I’m surprised it mainly seems to be her & 2 other hens showing it. (2 other hens are almost entirely black & 1 is smallest so I would assume it would lose electrolytes faster just like little kids.) Tho I noticed more loose stools than normal from the flock. So wondering if it’s just varying levels of heat stress.

Back
Top Bottom