Apr 30, 2018
Tooele, UT
Hi All,

I really need help on this one...

Back Story...Four nights ago, I noticed my Lavender Buff Orpington (Legs) not seated properly, kindof frompy and a little lop sided) on the roost bar in our coop. I thought she was trying to recover from the massive heat we have been having.

I have 12 girls including Legs and have a pretty good setup for the girls. A dedicated coop with a large exhaust fan that circulates the air in the coop once the coop exceeds 75 degrees...basically, it is running non-stop. Their run is large and is covered both on top and the sides except for two area panels to allow for circulation. They have access to either a tractor run or they can meander into the yard where they typically converged in the shaded area of the large garden shed. I have 3 sources of water: one is a large dog bowl filled inside of the coop; one is a repurposed kitty litter tray that holds ~ 3 gallons of water that I throw 3 frozen water bottles into to keep the water cool; the last is your typical 5-gallon waterer (the one with the red drinking tray) that sits up off of the ground for easier access. They all complete access to a large feeder hanger full of oyster shells and grit. This is my second year with these girls and last summer was brutal but I learned the signs of how they had to acclimate to the heat and what to do to ease their discomfort. Besides frequent water changes, cooling their water sources, occasionally adding 3-in-1 Hydro-Hen when the temps are triple digits, and offering frozen watermelon, etc., I will wet down an area in their run so they can dig into it so they can cool their bodies.

Anyway, 3 days ago (the next morning after noticing Legs not sitting on the roost quite right), I then noticed that she wasn't walking right, kind of lopping and unbalanced. Her comb and wattle seemed particularly red, almost too red. She kept sitting and not moving and getting up seemed like a struggle. Her tail was completely down, almost tucked under her backside. As I approached her, her panting had changed to labored breathing...It was so obvious she was in dire straights. I grabbed her up and took her into my house and put her into my bathroom so I could run back out and break down my broody buster which was set up in the run. I just got done breaking two other girls. I broke down the buster and hauled into the house and set it up downstairs. Got it completely put together and set up with food, water, shavings and got Legs down into the basement. She was sitting on the floor of my bathroom floor...it is tiled so I thought she was trying to bring her core temperature down. She was still panting and tail down. I put her into the crate and waited. I kept checking on her and she seemed to be settling in. By the end of the night, her panting had stopped but her wings were still held outward and her tail was still tucked.

The next morning, the day before yesterday, she was no longer panting, but she still was not sure-footed, wings held out but her tail was now horizontal. I kept monitoring her. She made it through the night. Then yesterday, I noticed her poo water very watery and dark greenish-black. She had eaten because her feed had been moved and some landing into her water bowl. I changed her water, making a batch of the Hydo-Hen, and refreshing it for her. I also scrambled 1 egg which she took interest in...early evening yesterday when my DH got home, we gave her a warm (tepid) Epsom salt bath so I could feel her underbelly...I didn't know if she might be egg-bound. Her belly was soft, like a not-so-filled water balloon, not hard, and I didn't feel any mass. I also checked her vent for bugs (mites, lice) and didn't see anything. At this point, I administered 5-6 drops of Ivermectin Pour-On 5mg/ml onto the back of her neck. She is a large girl, the largest one in my flock hence, the 5-6 drops. I did this because I can't know if she has worms or mites. We took her outside to dry off from the bath (at 7 PM, it was 98 degrees with 12% humidity). We wanted her to dry off before putting her back downstairs into the basement. After about 1/2 hour, my husband said we got to bring her in...still unbalanced, still squatting, and despondent. He scooped her up and took her down back to the basement. She made it through the night last night.

This morning, I went downstairs to check on her, and again, very watery poo, very greenish-black. Wings held away from her body, tail not much higher than horizontal, and had no interest in the scrambled egg I brought down. I did watch her take about 3 sips of the Hydo-Hen water I had freshly made. And while I was cleaning her crate, she passed a large, light brown/tan mass right in front of me. After that, she took two awkward steps and plopped down.

I have attached photos of her poo, the mass she passed, and her sitting in her crate. Please, anyone, help me to know what to do!!! I am at my wit's end. I do have ready, if necessary, Gordon's Permethrin 10. I have never used it before but will if it is suggested. I am just leary of treating Legs with both Ivermectin and Permethrin at the same time. I don't want to overdose her/poison her with competing insecticides.

Anybody, does anybody know what Legs is suffering from...? Please look at the photos and tell me what might be happening...None of my other girls are showing any of the same symptoms.
IMG_5757.jpg
IMG_5758.jpg
IMG_5759.jpg
IMG_5760.jpg
IMG_5761.jpg
IMG_5762.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg

Oh your poor girl, I am so sorry. It really sounds like you are doing everything right. Hold off on any pest care/medicines as that does not sound like her problem and may only add to her stress.
Yes, that does look like a lash egg, green poop not so great. The heat may have just brought an underlying condition to the forefront or just be a coincidence.
This may be something she can not recover from so prepare yourself, keep her comfortable, do as you are doing.
Do you have access to a vet?

That's a 'lash egg' - do an on site search for more information.
So since this has happened, from your suggestion to do research and since where I live there are not vets to prescribe antibiotics, and since this has occurred, she is most likely too far gone for any antibiotics to work, I guess we are going to have to do the humane thing to stop her suffering?

I'd monitor her closely. Sometimes it's an occasional thing, and other times it indicates chronic reproductive tract issues. If her condition continues to decrease, then I would cull her. Good luck.

I'd monitor her closely. Sometimes it's an occasional thing, and other times it indicates chronic reproductive tract issues. If her condition continues to decrease, then I would cull her. Good luck.
Thank you...I had no idea but now do...she does not seem happy at all today. Won't stand, breathing with some labor, and barely talks. It looks to me like she is on her way out.

You've probably done all you can, and should take comfort in the exceptional care you've given her. Keep her comfortable, talk to her softly from time to time, music helps (soft tempo-nothing loud or energetic and let nature run its course.

Back
Top Bottom