Heat stroke survivor!!!!

Yickenchick

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2018
08C7B10E-DEF4-4BD9-966C-F78509EC7144.jpeg
hi all!!!
I had to share this amazing story!
About a week ago we had a day that reached 109*... it was stinking hot. We always have lots of fresh clean water , and plenty of shade for our feathered babies, and in the summer we take extra steps.(Frozen treats, kiddie pool, mister). I check on them many times a day, and on this evening everyone seemed fine, just very hot. Well the next morning one of the Brahma Roos wouldn’t get up!! So I went in the pen and got him. I started researching heat exhaustion or stroke and ran to tractor supply to get B-12. He could not stand at all and his neck stayed outstretched and down(like wry neck) My mom got his electrolytes and some cream of wheat made up and he was in the A/C in the living room. We hand fed and watered him for 3 days, he also got 3 cc’s of vitamin B-12 (3times daily)..(with no improvement).. . On day 4... my father just decided to lay him on the floor and put “his “ food in front of him.. he stood a little and started eating!!! And then he got him some water and he started drinking!!! He only ate or drank till his neck got tired.. then he would rest. He got lots of mealworms and watermelon also... by that evening he actually stood and walked under the coffee table on his own!!! (Wobbly walk but walking!)
CAA28283-570D-4FB4-A83A-3F18C5477FA2.jpeg
And walked over to my mom and wanted up on the couch with her (to watch tv... yes he loves tv!!) we have since moved him outside into a big dog kennel on the back porch...(it has cooled down this past week and is only in the mid 80’s with low humidity).. he is walking more and more and regained all use of his neck muscles!!! He will be fine!! I think with about a week more of rehab he is going to make a full recovery!!
I guess the moral of this story is #1...never give up and #2...try something simple!!!

OMG! What a beautiful story! I'm so glad he is ok! Really good for you. Im really happy you took the extra steps in making sure he survived and was healthy. We need more kind people like you in the world! :yesss::goodpost:
OMG! What a beautiful story! I'm so glad he is ok! Really good for you. Im really happy you took the extra steps in making sure he survived and was healthy. We need more kind people like you in the world! :yesss::goodpost:
View attachment 1522585 View attachment 1522584
So glad he's ok! My quail had a heat stroke this summer. He will likely never walk normal again. He leans on the wall of the cage to walk. I make sure his food and water are by the wall. You are very lucky he looks like he will fully recover. He's a cutie too!
thank you sooo much! My chickens are my feathered babies... my mom and I take care of our chickens just as children. Sooooo spoiled!!! And we feel ALL of them deserve to live full happy healthy lives, and die of old age , just like humans!!! I’m so glad my father just placed Food in front of him!! I guess my mom and I were overthinking things!! . Typical moms... trying to “baby” him too much! But sooooo happy he made it!!! We were so sick at the thought of maybe having to do the “humane thing”. But all worked out!!!

View attachment 1522585 View attachment 1522584
So glad he's ok! My quail had a heat stroke this summer. He will likely never walk normal again. He leans on the wall of the cage to walk. I make sure his food and water are by the wall. You are very lucky he looks like he will fully recover. He's a cutie too!
I’m so sorry... did you try the B-12? It is oral, and snapped him out of it quick..(it seemed)... prayers and love for your lil feathered one...

I’m so sorry... did you try the B-12? It is oral, and snapped him out of it quick..(it seemed)... prayers and love for your lil feathered one...
Yes I did the b12, vit d, and omega 3. I find the omega fish oil helped him the most. It's been 3 months, he will probably stay like this. It's ok. He didn't walk at all after the stroke. He has a female with him. She was by herself because she had been pecked badly by an aggressive male. They have bonded together. She won't leave his side. It's very cute.

Thank you so so much for sharing your heartwarming story! Your little guy is blessed to have you! ❤️. Like you, my chickens are my feathered kids!
Best wishes and lots of bear hugs!
:hugs :hugs :hugs
Awhhhh... thank you...;) yes they are my babies, each and every one! Glad others feel this way about their feathered babies too...;)

Back
Top Bottom