Heated Founts? (probably answered)

svenskavessla

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 21, 2014
It's my first winter with chickens, and starting to get cold! (32 last night for me). I have two 3 gallon metal founts- but they are outdoors (in the run- my coop isn't big enough to house them- long story, I thought all my chickens would be one happy family but they didn't end up getting along so I had to divide my run and coop). SO- my question is, the heated fount bases I have seen- can I use those outside? Or, bad idea? My other alternative is getting heated dog water bowls. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance! (Also, I'm not super handy so it would probably be better if I bought someone vs made it).

I went thru my first winter with chickens last year. I didn't use any heaters for the founts. I just keep an extra set. Every morning I would take the fresh water out to the coop and bring the frozen in to thaw. Every evening after work I did the same thing. But we live in TN and winter is usually mild with a really nasty cold snap in January that lasts about 2 weeks. It sounds like you have a colder climate so that may not work for you. In the 30's at night already?!?! Its supposed to be in the high 60's here tonight.

Forgot to say that my friend has the heated bases that she bought at the feed store and she uses them outside in the run. Her run has a roof on it though.

In the 30's at night already?!?!

It's already been dipping into the 30s on some nights here in Northern Illinois...

Tonight is actually a lot warmer then it's been, raining and upper 50s...

To the OP, instead of heated dog bowls, may I suggest you get a heated water bucket and some horizontal nipples... Fabricate or find a lid to cover the top of the bucket just to keep garbage out...

That is just one idea though, there are lots of other ways to keep water liquid...

If you want to use the founts, make a little lean to off the coop to keep it out of the elements and covered, if it's like this one they are made to be outdoors, as long as they are covered...

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-Poultry-HP-125-125-Watt/dp/B000HHQDPM

I have like an "A" frame run- and for the winter I'm covering at least part of it with a tarp to keep the snow out. (I may live in NM- but I'm about 30 minutes from the Colorado boarder so...) Anyway- it SHOULD stay pretty dry and I have it up on bricks. I'm also asking for a friend who is out of state right now getting medical treatment and she's worried about her birds too while she's away so I thought I'd um, kill two birds with one stone? I think I'll give the under fount heaters a try- or maybe buy one of those and one dog bowl type heater and see which one wins me over. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom