Heated Perches

Wise Woman

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My Cottage
Someone on here has a website, Confederate Money Farms, where they show how to make a pet heater out of a PVC pipe and Christmas lights. I think this is a genius idea and got to wondering if it would be feesible to make these up and use as perches. In the winter time, I would turn them on in the evening and the perches would be nice and warm under the chickens feet. I am thinking this would be a fabulous way to help the chickens stay warm on cold winter nights without resorting to heating the whole coop. Since they use Christmas lights, they could all be plugged in together with just one cord having to go to an electric outlet. Has anyone done this?

We are going to be starting our coop within the next week or two and I want to make sure I get everything I want and need in this coop as it will most likely be my last. I've never heard anyone discuss this, but I think it might be worth trying. Any cons you can think of? I think the chickens would really enjoy it. The video says to rough up the PVC with sand paper so it isn't slippery, but I was thinking of putting some of those non slip strips you put on the end of deck steps so they could grip it easily. It would be very cleanable that way as well.

Thank you to the folks at Confederate Money Farms for posting this how to. I also enjoy watching your hatching cams. Haven't caught your pugs yet, but I am hopeful. I have two pugs myself and they are a hoot. We call them the Naughty Boys because they are!

I don't know if the heat wrap would work or not, but the thing I like about the PVC pipe is that the lights are inside the pipe and won't get dirty. Plus if they should out, it shouldn't hurt the chickens in any way. It just seems to me that having warm feet and bottoms would help warm them up during the coldest nights and I wouldn't have to worry about warming up the whole coop. If I am going to do this, I might as well do it while building rather than trying to re-do it later. I want it up and running by fall and all ready to go!

you would have to check to make sure the pvc doesnt get to hot from the lights, at a certain tempertature, not sure what, it will start to off gas a poisonous fume. i was going to use pvc to make a cold air intake for my truck, but a guy on a truck forum said i should reconsider for that reason. i know an engine gets hotter than a light bulb, but if you use big bulbs and a lot of them it might be the same. and it wouldnt take much fume to kill chickens in a small coop.

you could also use high heat enamle/ceramic paint inside and out, that would give it texture for the chickens to grab and sheild it from the heat of the lights.
just something to consider, i would deffinately use one in my coop if it works though

Truly, except for seriously tropical birds like green peacocks, I do not get what the point of trying to make a heated roost IS. Chickens have FEATHERS. As long as you give them a wide enough roost that their toes will be all enclosed in their feathers, ya ain't gonna get it any warmer than THAT. And chickens' own feathers are not a fire hazard.

Chickens do not normally get frostbit feet anyhow, unless there are management issues or there was another preexisting problem with the chicken's health.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

As long as your well ventikated and draft free in the winter you should be fine. If a chicken will walk thru a puddle with ice in it to investigate a snowpile, it's feet are not going to freeze off on a roost. But then my roosts are wood so they don't feel as cold anyway (kinda like a wooden bench in a sauna)

If you're that worried, spend ther electricity on a heatbulb

I also have to say I don't think this is a great idea. First of all, even a roughened up PVC pipe is going to be much too slippery, as well as being the wrong shape, for a good chicken roost. You'd need to have conventional, non heated perches to make sure the bird isn't forced to roost someplace where they're too warm. And speaking of that, I wonder just how hot those lights would get inside a closed space like a pvc pipe. Hot enough to melt the plastic? I have no idea.

Thanks for the input everyone. Lots to ponder. I just worry when it gets really cold out that they aren't comfortable. They will have ventilation on all four sides of the coop and I have never in 10 years had a bird get frost bite, so I guess they are ok. I just worry. Plus I am confused about perches anyway. We have always used round perches and now it seems everyone is using 2 x 4s. But outside they would use tree branches, which are round. Very confusing.

It is confusing I went through the same thoughts about round perches. But what makes sense is if the board is flat they can cover up their feet with feathers to keep their feet warm. The reason for using flat side of the 2x4 is if the board was bigger they would poop all over it . Just build it with 2x4 trust me. I had to re-do mine its a pain.

Back
Top Bottom