Heated rabbit water bowl for 4 chickens

Beth2017

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
Southern Maryland
Hi All,

Newbie here. I've just learned the joy of lugging water out to the coop in the morning in subfreezing weather! Only to have it freeze up within an hour. So, I did look at heated dog water bowls - way to big for my little chicken tractor and 4 girls. The guy at tractor supply suggested a heated rabbit bowl (1 quart). What do you think? I did a quick search but didn't see anything on heated rabbit bowls here.. I found one online that is thermostatically controlled.

Thank you!
Beth

I've done heated dog bowls, the plastic heated waterer, and the metal heated base for metal waterers. I've also used a smaller red heat lamp suspended over a metal waterer. For a few chickens, the heated water dish might be fine, as long as you don't have Polish type birds with those cute (and useless) topknots. Using an additional plug- in thermostat helps too. Mary

Hi Mary,

I did order the heated bowl - amazon prime will magically deliver it tomorrow (Sunday!). I'll let everyone know how it works for our 4 girls - not fancy chickens - no top knots. They have adapted to every waterer I've thrown at them, from standard ones to the brite tap I have used til freezing, and in a pinch a dog bowl. I'm hoping this will work. I did hear from Mark (the britetap guy) that he is working on a heater. I'm looking forward to that innovation!

Beth

Back
Top Bottom